1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,081 Posts
    Yeah yeah yeah I'm still about.

Right I'm gonna tell y'all about colour theory now because I'm sick of seeing your boring desaturated pictures with your shitty Michael Bay orange-cyan overlays.

---------------------

THE BASICS

Yes we should all start here. Some people will have realised this stuff without ever having to read a pretentious, arrogant and overly aggressive Briton's tutorial on it because they can do something which I like to call "using their eyes". Btw that applies to about 1% of this forum.

The colour wheel:

I hope to god you've all seen on of these before. I even got a picture of a labelled one to really help you out. This thing doesn't just apply to art - Isaac Newton invented this baby; that's how cool it is (when something is still used 400 years after its invention you know it's good).

"But Chesty, how is this going to help us? It's just a picture of all the tertiary colours!". It'll make sense shortly, don't worry.

I'm going to assume you're all over the age of 13 and so have had the wonders of combining primary colours to make secondary colours and then tertiary colours explained, if not there are links at the bottom that contain the info in them.

Colour harmony:

What we're concerned with here, and what we're going to use the wheel for, is understanding colour harmony. Every piece of artwork should have a colour-scheme. Colour-scheme is almost as important as your posing and all your fancy explosion effects. It's a key part of composition that is as vital as picking a sweet camera angle. Looking at the way most of you work I'd guess that colour-scheme is the absolute last thing any of you think about... and I can't blame you entirely for that because you're working initially with the Source Engine so you have to pose with no colour scheme at all. For the love of God though, once you're done with your posing and effects/shading editing you should really be taking far more than 2 minutes thinking about colour-scheme, rather than just desaturating a bit and slapping on your orange-cyan colour gradient and calling it a day.

There are two typical ways of creating a harmonic colour-scheme.

Through analogous colours:

Analogous colours follow each other on the wheel. This method is easy to do and can make a nice, simple image with a clear mood or theme. It's not terrible exciting though.

Through complementary colours:

Complementary colours are [i]always opposites on the colour wheel[/b] - this is impotant. This method is more difficult to use but creates far more stunning imagery.

You're gonna be limited to how well you can enforce this in Gmod what with the choice of models and materials available to you. If you ever get the chance to use analogous colours or complimentary colours in-game, then you should really take the opportunity because it won't come along often.

So sure, by the theory above, your shitty blue-orange colour filters are nice, complimentary colour-schemes... but God there's so much more you can do.

DIS WHERE IT GETS GOOD

Shading and highlighting with colour:

Colour theory is most applicable in shading and highlighting. Choice of colour gets more involving once you're finished with your midtones (ie. the flat shit you get once you've taken your Source engine picture) and you start to get into the extreme darks and lights of your artwork.

What most people fail to understand is the exact reasons why opposite colours are so complimentary. The simple reason is because you see it all around you without even noticing and, if you apply it properly, it shouldn't be noticed in your artwork either - it's just that natural. Complimentary colours is simply an optical illusion:

Fairly strong orange/yellow light is striking the sand. The shadowed areas not being hit by light, in contrast, looks blue - the opposite of yellow/orange.

You can apply this in varying degrees to artwork, partly depending on how strongly saturated your light-source is but also partly to do with how striking a visual style you wish to create:

Or something much subtler:

Using colour like this you can get some really natural depth in your work.

Things get more complicated when we start working with more complex materials, however, especially skintone.

Here's a digital art skintone study I did a few months ago:

(as with any other digital work I post, it's made from scratch on Photoshop CS5 using a Bamboo Pen tablet)

At this point I wasn't using complimentary colours in my shading and highlighting very much but some of the fundamentals are still there. Note that skintones get more saturated, and therefore redder and browner, as they get darker, rather than just getting progressively blacker. Also note how the highlights in the colour pallets are actually mostly cyan. Using black to shade is pretty much the worst thing ever. It makes materials appear lifeless and flat:

The one on the left was my original study, the one on the right something I knocked up quickly to show how wrongly it can be done. Note how flat the one on the right is and yet if we compare them monochromatically, just to see the tones:

They're actually almost identical. The power of colour!

As you can see, skintones get more saturated as they get darker, therefore making them redder and browner. Making skintones more saturated in the shadows is only half of it though. Mixing in a small degree of complimentary colour theory into it works wonders though. Under normal, semi-yellow lighting, a small measure of purple in the shadows and a small measure of cyan in the highlights works wonderfully.

Things get even more complicated when you have to take multiple light-sources into account:

Overall the lighting is orange with strong orange lighting coming off from the left and in-front somewhere. But on the right you've got a softer cyan light. It can get quite confusing. So on one half of the picture you've got cyan highlights and orange shadows, while on the other side you've got orange highlights and purple shadows.

"BUT CHESTEH HOW IS ANY OF DIS APPLICABLE TO GMOD GRGNNh!?"

Right, okay. You've come this far so thanks for reading. Now we can get on to how to use this theory in your editing. Sure, I probably could have told you this straight away but then you'd just be mindless zombies following my command as if my artistic opinion suddenly means more than everyone else's for no apparent reason. You should always understand why you're doing something and why it looks good before you apply it.

You're probably wondering right now "but... we're working with pre-made models and maps. 90% of the lighting, colour, shadows and highlights are already done. Surely all I can do now is get my dodge/burn tool and shit all over my picture with it?" Well you're wrong. If you feel the need to add proper cast shadows and self-shading to your pictures, which you should unless you're a God at using the lamp tool like Urbanator, use your burn tool set to "highlights" to put in some black/grey shadows as you would normally.

But remember what I said about how shading with black looks shit? Well that's still true and that's all you're gonna get by using the burn tool. What you want to do now is use the colour-balance (CTRL+B) settings properly. By that I don't mean set it to midtones and then make your picture as brown as humanly possible.

Take note of the colour of your light-source. Now, set the colour-balance setting to "highlights". Change the balance so that the highlights are the same colour as your light-source (although not nearly as strong). Next, set your colour-balance setting to "shadows". Now change the balance to the opposite of your highlights colour.

"Holeh shit Chesteh it looks like I just turned the contrast up too much!". Don't worry. It does increase slightly and you can decrease the contrast manually if you feel the need. If you compare the monochromatic tones though you'll see that a lot of it is due to optical illusion; remember what I said earlier about creating depth in your pictures with colour? You just did it. The picture appears to have a lot more tonal contrast because you have created real colour contrast.

Let's see it in action!

Here's a really average picture with some fairly decent cast shadows, contrast and shading... but it's so flat and lifeless. Maybe this is due to the shitty orange-blue colour overlay.

Let's apply what we learnt about colour theory using the colour-balance settings. We've got orange light from the fire, so lets set the highlights to have red/yellow balance and, as an opposite effect, we'll set the shadows to have blu/cyan balance:

Instantaneous colour depth. And what does it take? A bit of knowledge in traditional artistic technique and less than a couple of minutes to implement on top of all your other editing.

NOW GO HAVE FUN!

-----------------------

Further reading:

http://www.colormatters.com/colortheory.html

http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.com/20...ease-stop.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_theory

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...r_theory.shtml

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8013/skintut.jpg

sum1 st1cky dis cos it iz sik
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Winner x 12Informative x 4Useful x 3Artistic x 2Friendly x 1Dumb x 1Optimistic x 1Zing x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    January 2011
    225 Posts
    ok

good tutorial
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Hungary Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    23,394 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    I'm a loner who likes to get beat up at school
    June 2009
    11,550 Posts
    who are you again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    if I had 1$ for every title under my name, I had 1$
    December 2007
    1,732 Posts
    "Take note of the colour of your light-source. Now, set the colour-balance setting to "highlights". Change the balance so that the highlights are the same colour as your light-source (although not nearly as strong). Next, set your colour-balance setting to "shadows". Now change the balance to the opposite of the previous colour."

I think Im misreading something here.. is this still about the burn tool?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    I'm a Cthulhu!
    January 2011
    5,276 Posts
    The screenshot is awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Norway Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,081 Posts
    "Take note of the colour of your light-source. Now, set the colour-balance setting to "highlights". Change the balance so that the highlights are the same colour as your light-source (although not nearly as strong). Next, set your colour-balance setting to "shadows". Now change the balance to the opposite of the previous colour."

I think Im misreading something here.. is this still about the burn tool?
    Maybe I should re-write it.

It's about colour-balance. ... cos there's that bit where it says "colour balance setting". I assumed people would know that I'm referring to Photoshop's "Image/Adjustments/Colour Balance" (or Ctrl + B).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    HUGE FAGGOT x9999 Dumb
    October 2009
    620 Posts
    And rainbows!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Russian Federation Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    January 2007
    878 Posts
    I don't know. It has the word theory in it.

Just kidding. You are now a tool to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Don't ask about my Miley Cyrus fangirlism
    March 2007
    2,304 Posts
    do one on composition/placement/angles next!

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,081 Posts
    do one on composition/placement/angles next!
    I'm not really sure I can. It's not something you can teach so well because it is so intrinsically specific to each and every individual situation.

As long as you understand rule of thirds you should get along okay.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    15,592 Posts
    As long as you understand rule of thirds you should get along okay.
    But rule of thirds is like 5% of all the composition theory. Though yeah, explaining the whole thing would be way too much for a thread.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,069 Posts
    Can't say I find that example (the GMod soldiers pose) very convincing. There's more contrast, but it loses some detail in the process.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,081 Posts
    But rule of thirds is like 5% of all the composition theory. Though yeah, explaining the whole thing would be way too much for a thread.
    Of entire composition, yeah, it's a tiny element, but in camera angles it's like the first building block.

Can't say I find that example (the GMod soldiers pose) very convincing. There's more contrast, but it loses some detail in the process.
    Did you read it? There's a tiny bit more tonal contrast yeah but that's just a side-effect that you can remove afterwards if you like.

Lol who gives a shit about detail? It was never about detail, it never has been and it never should be - unless you're doing a photo-realistic render of something you should never be concerned with detail.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    15,592 Posts
    Of entire composition, yeah, it's a tiny element, but in camera angles it's like the first building block.
    Golden ratio is equally important IMO.

16. Post #16
    YOU ARE DUMB AND NOBODY LIKES YOU
    January 2010
    6,072 Posts
    tl;dr make shadows blue and highligts orange like 35mm and you won't be a faggot
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,081 Posts
    Golden ratio is equally important IMO.
    Perhaps but it's such an age old theory that I think a lot of contemporary artists do it without even thinking or realising.

Regardless, it would be pointless to make any tutorials for any of this - it's just stuff you have to pick up yourself. I'd be writing the equals of a 5000 word university dissertation if I wanted to write a tutorial on it.

tl;dr make shadows blue and highligts orange like 35mm and you won't be a faggot
    Essentially. Only I'd relate it more to whatever your light source is (ie. don't do that if your light-source is blue because it would make no sense).

18. Post #18
    September 2009
    5,108 Posts
    I just hope that once people will stop bitching about the blue&orange contrast or whatever.
    It is used so much becouse the colors fit together.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,081 Posts
    I just hope that once people will stop bitching about the blue&orange contrast or whatever.
    Yes I stated that in the tutorial.

Thing is though, it doesn't look good. Sure the colours fit but what the orange does to skin-tones is ugly as fuck if you overdo it even slightly. It completely overblows the natural orange in the skin while overblowing all the blues everywhere else, so you get this horribly fake-tanned look.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,048 Posts
    Dayumn.
    Blue-orange contrast everywhere

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,081 Posts
    Blue-orange contrast everywhere
    Because of the strong orange light. It makes sense here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    September 2009
    5,108 Posts
    Yes I stated that in the tutorial.

Thing is though, it doesn't look good. Sure the colours fit but what the orange does to skin-tones is ugly as fuck if you overdo it even slightly. It completely overblows the natural orange in the skin while overblowing all the blues everywhere else, so you get this horribly fake-tanned look.
    Sure, if we're talking about human skin tone.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,081 Posts
    Sure, if we're talking about human skin tone.
    k when you make a picture of a transformer, use it as much as you want. When you use it in a picture with a human (ie. 80% of pictures, at least, on this forum) don't use it.

Edited:

And wow most of the complaints about that overlay come from cinema. How many films have you seen with no people in it? All the films I have ever seen use the overlay have had people in them and, as a result, they all look horrible discoloured.

i <3 sunbeds
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    15,592 Posts
    Yeah, it does fit together, that's good, but I think the bitching is more about that everyone just ignores the rest of the color theory. They just go "oh hey let's use blue & orange that looks good". Red and green would look equally good, because the colors are complementary in both cases.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    if I had 1$ for every title under my name, I had 1$
    December 2007
    1,732 Posts
    Maybe I should re-write it.

It's about colour-balance. ... cos there's that bit where it says "colour balance setting". I assumed people would know that I'm referring to Photoshop's "Image/Adjustments/Colour Balance" (or Ctrl + B).
    ahh I didnt think of that for some reason. thanks for answering my question. good tutorial of course, altrough correctly editing lighting and shading is still very hard I think.

Edited:

oh I have a question by the way, if you dont mind.

lets take this picture for example:

This picture is not edited, its straight from gmod.
    I had a hard time finding the correct colour balance and everything, in the end, it never looked right, either too high in contrast, or still too bright. what would you do in this case?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    September 2009
    5,108 Posts
    k when you make a picture of a transformer, use it as much as you want. When you use it in a picture with a human (ie. 80% of pictures, at least, on this forum) don't use it.

Edited:

And wow most of the complaints about that overlay come from cinema. How many films have you seen with no people in it? All the films I have ever seen use the overlay have had people in them and, as a result, they all look horrible discoloured.

i <3 sunbeds

You can use the orange&blue on a picture and alpha mask the skin parts out. It'll look good. Of course only if the colours fit the scene.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Czech Republic Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,073 Posts
    I can't help but feel your tutorial is lacking a few things in color theory, but that's mostly because I'm in an art school.

One thing that you don't mention is the relationships between warm and cool colors, and how they affect one another.

Obviously, if you put a warm color like orange next to a cooler color like blue, you will get compliments, but you can also get some good color contrast if you put warm and cold version of the same color together, i.e. putting magenta next to red-orange. You can also make a single color look warmer or cooler depending on what colors are next to it, so if you put a green next to a yellow, the yellow will seem much warmer than if you put a red next to it, which will make the yellow cooler. As I said, you can use that to add some color contrast to your pictures, so rather than just orange and blue, you could have a cool orange and warm blue on one side, then a warm orange and cool blue on the other, creating not one, but two color contrasts in your picture.

To demonstrate this idea:

Though it may seem like there are three spiraling bands of color, a blue, magenta, and green one, the blue and the green are actually the same color. Wrap your head around that one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Useful Useful x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,081 Posts
    Oh shit I forgot to talk about colour relativity. You just reminded me. I'll update this shit later.

Maybe.

I'm not sure it's really necessary to talk about this stuff when we're making Gmod pictures because no one is making anything from scratch or creating a colour pallet from scratch.

Edited:

I had a hard time finding the correct colour balance and everything, in the end, it never looked right, either too high in contrast, or still too bright. what would you do in this case?
    I can't really tell what you've done to it. I think if you removed or made the glare from the sun much less excessive then the lighting would be far more manageable.

Edited:

You can use the orange&blue on a picture and alpha mask the skin parts out. It'll look good. Of course only if the colours fit the scene.
    Yeah, fair enough. No one does that though sadly. I'm not sure if it'd make the skintones look comparatively desaturated though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,073 Posts
    Also, you shouldn't totally discourage shading with black because occlusive shadows where no light gets into are going to be completely black.

That was one thing I noticed about your digital paintings, they're missing those black occlusive shadows so they get flattened out a bit.

EDIT:

For example, I took those lips of yours and added just a bit of blackness in the cracks and voila

Look at how much more depth there is than in the original.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,657 Posts
    Nevertheless Teal and Orange is soo soo overused it sometimes hurts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    5,506 Posts
    We're all color blind. Sorry. :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,081 Posts
    Also, you shouldn't totally discourage shading with black because occlusive shadows where no light gets into are going to be completely black.

That was one thing I noticed about your digital paintings, they're missing those black occlusive shadows so they get flattened out a bit.
    Meh old work, that painting is from November last year.

You're kind of missing the instruction of the tutorial there too. Obviously black can be used to add to shading that has already been done with the proper colours if you quickly need to increase the contrast in some areas (and simply using Photoshop's contrast options isn't doing the trick) but, as a rule to teach people, not shading with black is a good idea.

Common sense should tell you that you can use black as a quick fix to finish off some shading work... then again common sense isn't in its bucket loads here.

Just to unnecessarily insist that I am happy to use pitch-black shadows in my work now:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    September 2009
    5,108 Posts
    You're good.

Edited:

I wish I could draw so good.

Edited:

I mean draw at all
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,081 Posts
    Meh I can paint from reference okay but I'm terrible at painting entirely from my own head.

35. Post #35
    September 2009
    5,108 Posts
    Oh damn. Was supposed to be merged. Better think of something to post here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Czech Republic Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    December 2008
    978 Posts
    I really enjoy your tutorials Chesty. Extremely useful, and easy to wrap my head around.
    Many thanks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    5,004 Posts
    Color blind.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    YOU ARE DUMB AND NOBODY LIKES YOU
    January 2010
    6,072 Posts
    ahh I didnt think of that for some reason. thanks for answering my question. good tutorial of course, altrough correctly editing lighting and shading is still very hard I think.

Edited:

first and foremost, your biggest problem is the obscene amount of gamma going on in the picture.

if you use the ingame color correction, you can darken the image to get much more refined quality -- if you take the picture in its current form and try to do anything with it, a lot of details are going to be completely absent because the prior brightness eliminated the detail. with the ingame color correction, you can darken the image and adjust the contrast appropriately without loss of details because it's still a raw image.

once that's done, then adjusting the color and lighting shouldn't be a problem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2009
    7,289 Posts
    Got two pm's on DeviantArt asking me if Facepunch thought you could turn art in to mathematics, linking me to this thread. Plus some other unkind words better left out. I had to say I didn't think that was what Chesty was going for.

Still a bit amusing. I believe they meant it was like criticizing Picasso for offending the logical angles of perspectives and mathematically correct cubes and triangles:keke:

40. Post #40
    April 2007
    50 Posts
    DA is full of idiots who are shit artists (like me) but like to think otherwise (unlike me)

OH SHIT did I say me I meant that rossmum guy what a faggot lol :ohdear:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)