1. Post #441
    Dennab
    October 2007
    2,399 Posts

Just applied a windows 1.0 - 3.1 inspired boot image to my amiga before my Philips monitor exploded, luckily it only looks like a 200 Volt capacitor has blown, it's bulging at the top, the return transformer looks okay.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #442
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,110 Posts
    Is it warez if you have the real deal of something that's confidential or is it theft?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 7Winner Winner x 2 (list)

3. Post #443
    1.21 GIGAWATTS!
    May 2010
    6,567 Posts
    Is it warez if you have the real deal of something that's confidential or is it theft?

This needs videos so badly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

4. Post #444
    Dennab
    October 2007
    2,399 Posts
    Oh my god...

Edited:

Attatch it to an email and ask them vv
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

5. Post #445
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts

how much did that cost you?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

6. Post #446
    September 2010
    1,025 Posts
    I've got a really old dell at the foot of my bed, No clue what model as the plastic casing is missing, The keyboard is downright painful, When i didn't have a USB one i had to use it, The angles are so sharp i genuinely got blisters. And it's a "Quietkey" when it was louder than my electric typewriter.

Edited:

By really old i mean the startup DELL splash is in a 16-bit monochromatic display.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

7. Post #447
    November 2010
    2,268 Posts
    So I just started taking welding classes in school and while out in the workshop building of my school I saw on top of some large cabinets an old as hell IBM with a screen and a model M next to it, gonna see if I can take it/buy it from the school on monday.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

8. Post #448
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,110 Posts
    BuMP.

Upgraded my Pedion from a generic 2gb hard drive to a 4gb Compact Flash Card.

Also uncovered a matched set of RS-232 encryption/decryption cards. You program them both with a cipher and that allows for you to run a secure connection between two computers. Remove the metal ocver in the card and a switch kills battery backed power to the ram that holds the cipher, effectively making it impossible to communicate witht he system ont he other end.

Also installed Enhanced BIOS patch card into my Compaq Portable III which permitted it to auto-detect hard drives and enable me to install a much larger and physically smaller laptop hard drive.

Currently working on figuring out how to add good enough speakers to my Sound Blaster 16 card. The ones I previously tried require too much power and are not loud enough.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

9. Post #449
    1.21 GIGAWATTS!
    May 2010
    6,567 Posts
    "Trade secrets privacy module"
    What.

10. Post #450
    Dennab
    November 2010
    4,519 Posts
    I had might aswell dredge this thread up with some content again.

IBM AT PC 5170. £70 for everything pictured.
    Best Birthday present yet!

And MS-DOS 3.2 sealed in it's envelope. The manual puts the Bible to shame...

Edited:

MIPS, do you know any way of getting an IDE HDD or Compact Flash card booting in this thing?

Because I really don't trust these 25 year old Seagate drives. Apparently they just loved to improperly retract the read/write head when you shut the computer off.

11. Post #451
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,110 Posts
    Hey folks! I'll be demonstrating one of my systems this saturday while attending the monthly meeting of the Seattle Retrocomputing society.

I'll be there from 1:30 to 5PM but I recommend you stick around. Last time we went upstairs to where the real hardware lives.

You're also only minutes away from one of Seattle's finest used computer component shop. RE-PC.

Edit:
    MIPS, do you know any way of getting an IDE HDD or Compact Flash card booting in this thing?

Because I really don't trust these 25 year old Seagate drives. Apparently they just loved to improperly retract the read/write head when you shut the computer off.
    the 5170 thankfully has a 16 bit ISA bus so you will have a much broader access to to better hardware. Personally I would go for one of Adaptec's ISA SCSI I/O cards which integrated the floppy controller and a bootable SCSI bus but you probably don't have SCSI drives laying around. Instead you can just hunt down one fo the many Generic IDE I/O cards that were around int he 386/486 era. They normally included onboard support for two IDE drives, two floppy drives, two serial ports and a parallel port however drive detection and configuration was usually at the mercy of the BIOS. You'll have to find one of the Enhanced BIOS cards like I posted above to have automatic drive detection.
    If all else fails I still strongly recommend either a 20mb ST-225 or 40mb ST-251. These two drives are quite possibly the most reliable hard drives ever built. You can still find them in full working condition. When in doubt though, format the drive and then do a scandisk surface check. An AT is generally a 286 so I would recommend MS-DOS 3.3 to 5.0

12. Post #452
    Dennab
    November 2010
    4,519 Posts
    the 5170 thankfully has a 16 bit ISA bus so you will have a much broader access to to better hardware. Personally I would go for one of Adaptec's ISA SCSI I/O cards which integrated the floppy controller and a bootable SCSI bus but you probably don't have SCSI drives laying around. Instead you can just hunt down one fo the many Generic IDE I/O cards that were around int he 386/486 era. They normally included onboard support for two IDE drives, two floppy drives, two serial ports and a parallel port however drive detection and configuration was usually at the mercy of the BIOS. You'll have to find one of the Enhanced BIOS cards like I posted above to have automatic drive detection.
    If all else fails I still strongly recommend either a 20mb ST-225 or 40mb ST-251. These two drives are quite possibly the most reliable hard drives ever built. You can still find them in full working condition. When in doubt though, format the drive and then do a scandisk surface check. An AT is generally a 286 so I would recommend MS-DOS 3.3 to 5.0
    Already got one of those drives, and a ST-4026

Edited:

Looks like I will just be keeping them.

Edited:

And it comes with IBM PC DOS and MS-DOS 3.3, so I'm in luck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #453
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,110 Posts
    Those drives will do fine.

14. Post #454
    Dennab
    November 2010
    4,519 Posts
    Excelent, I will have it running as soon as I get a new RTC battery. Apparently all of the BIOS settings need reprogramming in basic too.
    Thankfully the old one missed the motherboard when it leaked and pissed acid allover the inside of the case.

15. Post #455
    Asshole Extraordinaire
    Dennab
    May 2005
    3,705 Posts
    Currently working on figuring out how to add good enough speakers to my Sound Blaster 16 card. The ones I previously tried require too much power and are not loud enough.
    If you don't mind monaural sound, you can build a cheap op-amp with a TDA7052a on a small 1.5"x1.5" PCB and power it with +12v from the PSU. You'll probably want to use a power regulator and a capacitor to filter the power though because the computer's PSU has too much noise.

For stereo, you could use dual TDA7052a's, or use a larger stereo op-amp.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

16. Post #456
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,110 Posts
    If you don't mind monaural sound, you can build a cheap op-amp with a TDA7052a on a small 1.5"x1.5" PCB and power it with +12v from the PSU. You'll probably want to use a power regulator and a capacitor to filter the power though because the computer's PSU has too much noise.

For stereo, you could use dual TDA7052a's, or use a larger stereo op-amp.
    The older Sound Blaster 16 had an onboard amp for driving some small speakers but that seems to be a hit and miss thing when it came to which speakers worked fine with the onboard amp and which ones like this one were too demanding.

17. Post #457
    Asshole Extraordinaire
    Dennab
    May 2005
    3,705 Posts
    If the SB16 had an op-amp, it was only meant to drive the small 8 ohm PC speaker that most cases have. You'll have to build a more powerful one if you want to have internal stereo speakers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

18. Post #458
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,110 Posts
    If the SB16 had an op-amp, it was only meant to drive the small 8 ohm PC speaker that most cases have. You'll have to build a more powerful one if you want to have internal stereo speakers.
    The Sound Blaster 16 featured the then widely used TEA2025 operational amplifier which, in the configuration Creative had chosen, would allow approximately 700 milliwatts (0.7 watts) per channel when used with a standard pair of unpowered, 4-Ohm multi-media speakers.
    Those flat disc speakers are .4 watt, 4 ohm and I can barely hear them.

19. Post #459
    Dennab
    November 2010
    4,519 Posts
    Is it paticularly dificult to set up that IBM PC as a Serial Linux terminal?

20. Post #460
    Asshole Extraordinaire
    Dennab
    May 2005
    3,705 Posts
    Those flat disc speakers are .4 watt, 4 ohm and I can barely hear them.
    If you're using the SB16 under DOS, the Creative driver bundle should have a sound mixer application (the AWE64 does) where you can crank up the sound, which should make the speakers louder.

If that doesn't work, check to see if the TEA2025 is a discrete IC on the SB16. If it is, locate pins 7 and 10 on it. There should be a resistor to ground on each pin, along with a capacitor. Changing out both resistors for two potentiometers will let you manually adjust the volume level. You can also try and use a different value resistor, but if they're SMD resistors, they're a pain in the ass to replace.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

21. Post #461
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,110 Posts
    If you're using the SB16 under DOS, the Creative driver bundle should have a sound mixer application (the AWE64 does) where you can crank up the sound, which should make the speakers louder.

If that doesn't work, check to see if the TEA2025 is a discrete IC on the SB16. If it is, locate pins 7 and 10 on it. There should be a resistor to ground on each pin, along with a capacitor. Changing out both resistors for two potentiometers will let you manually adjust the volume level. You can also try and use a different value resistor, but if they're SMD resistors, they're a pain in the ass to replace.
    The original Sound Blaster 16 (my favorite card because it had the most awesome features (you could add to it like the CSP and Yamaha wavetable daughtercard) has no software volume control. There's a volume control on the bulkhead face of the card.

Fatal-Error: Find a terminal program for DOS. They are everywhere.
    Hell, find Windows 1.01 as it included a terminal application and I know for a fact that it works on the AT.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

22. Post #462
    December 2010
    1,077 Posts
    I have an original IBM PC from the mid 70s in my basement. Doesn't have its original monitor though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

23. Post #463
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,375 Posts
    I want to get a rig for running all kinds of games from the 90s. Should I get a Pentium 2 or a Pentium 3? What about AMD?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

24. Post #464
    Dennab
    November 2010
    4,519 Posts
    I want to get a rig for running all kinds of games from the 90s. Should I get a Pentium 2 or a Pentium 3? What about AMD?
    I'm running an AMD Duron at 800Mhz and a Radeon 9600.
    It's working brilliantly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

25. Post #465
    September 2008
    872 Posts
    I'm running an AMD Duron at 800Mhz and a Radeon 9600.
    It's working brilliantly.
    I used to have a Athlon @1GHz with a starfighter AGP but that died. so I guess I will use a ATI rage or a 4650.

26. Post #466
    Dennab
    November 2010
    4,519 Posts
    I got the ST-225 working, I just need to get the extended memory set up and I'm gonna check the other HDD, I think that is where the previous owner was storing his software as C only has MS-DOS.

27. Post #467
    October 2009
    868 Posts
    Sorry for bumping, but I decided to foray into the world of retro-computing. Ordered a Commodore VIC-20 with original manuals, it's going to arrive in around a week, can't wait to fool around with it.

28. Post #468
    Dennab
    November 2010
    4,519 Posts
    Sorry for bumping, but I decided to foray into the world of retro-computing. Ordered a Commodore VIC-20 with original manuals, it's going to arrive in around a week, can't wait to fool around with it.
    The Vic-20 was a poor mans Commodore 64!!

Nah, they are still great.

29. Post #469
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,110 Posts
    VIC-20's are one of the best ways to start learning CBM BASIC and assembler.
    I know there was a machine language cartridge available for it.

30. Post #470
    October 2009
    868 Posts
    I still have to find someplace that sells 1541 floppy drives so that I can compile programs on my desktop and then "upload" it to the Commodore, any suggestions of where to get them?

31. Post #471
    CIPWTTKT's Resident Redneckā„¢
    December 2009
    7,274 Posts
    I still have to find someplace that sells 1541 floppy drives so that I can compile programs on my desktop and then "upload" it to the Commodore, any suggestions of where to get them?
    Knowing MIPS, he's probably got a lifetime supply of them

32. Post #472
    Dennab
    November 2010
    4,519 Posts
    You can get SD card adaptors for the cartridge port, doesn't that seem a little more practical?

33. Post #473
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,110 Posts
    Knowing MIPS, he's probably got a lifetime supply of them
    Unfortunately I got bad news.
    When I lost my job with The Hackery in August I lost not only my job obviously but all my Vancouver connections for old shit. I have not gotten anything cool since I left. :(
    If you contact The Hackery directly they might still be able to sell you a 1541 drive but for the last few months I have been completely shut out of all operations at the place.
    Sucks too. They got in a bunch of Teletype gear recently.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #474
    September 2011
    154 Posts
    hey MIPS
    your name suggests you own a Lemote Yeelong MIPS computer
    right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

35. Post #475
    CIPWTTKT's Resident Redneckā„¢
    December 2009
    7,274 Posts
    hey MIPS
    right?
    You know the MIPS processor isn't limited to only the Yeelong, right?

Hell, the only person I know of with a Yeelong is RMS.

36. Post #476
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    1,926 Posts
    i have a toshiba satellite 110cs that runs on dos 6.2 also I am selling it in exchange for skyrim ;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

37. Post #477
    Dennab
    November 2010
    4,519 Posts
    i have a toshiba satellite 110cs that runs on dos 6.2 also I am selling it in exchange for skyrim ;)
    Monster!

38. Post #478
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,110 Posts
    hey MIPS
    right?
    As stated:

Also, my original name Pentium was taken by some other FP bigot who got perma'd.

39. Post #479
    June 2010
    9,225 Posts
    Pentium was taken by some other FP bigot who got perma'd.
    If you had that name your alt could be Pentium II, heh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

40. Post #480
    Dennab
    November 2010
    4,519 Posts
    I'm grabbing Intel 80286 asap.

Edited:

Or Motorola 68000.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)