1. Post #1
    October 2009
    316 Posts
    I've got a 1tb Seagate external hard drive that I've had for about 4 months now. It's always worked perfectly and I've had no problems whatsoever with it.
    However, two weeks ago, I formatted my computer. I reinstalled the same version of Windows XP Pro with the same CD even, installed all the drivers for the motherboard, wifi device, keyboard, etc etc, until everything was basically at the same point it was before I formatted.
    Only one thing has changed - my external hard drive is working at extremely slow speeds. It's plugged into a USB3 port (although I don't think it's USB3 compatible) as it always has been, and yet, I can't figure out what could be causing the slowness.
    I think it might be a USB problem and not one with the hard drive, because when I plug my phone in and try to move files onto it, it also works pretty slowly.
    I've been trying for a few days to figure it out, and I've even gone to such lengths as buying myself a 1tb internal hard drive, which arrived today, only for me to realise that I needed to move all the files from the external onto it - which is going to take hours, if not days.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Post #2
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    16,013 Posts
    Go into the properties of the device and enable something in there, I forget what it's called - it will make it a bit faster, but it will also make it more likely that you lose data if you don't safely remove it.

3. Post #3
    Asshole Extraordinaire
    Dennab
    May 2005
    3,705 Posts
    External hard drives weren't built for speed, they were built for backup and portability convenience. The maximum theoretical speed for USB 2.0 is 60 MB/s, though it rarely reaches that level due to protocol overhead. The maximum theoretical throughput for a SATAII drive is 375 MB/s, which is basically crippled by the USB 2.0 interface.

The only way to get near native speeds on external drives is to either use FireWire or eSATA, with eSATA being the fastest since the drive doesn't have to convert back and forth over the FireWire bus.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    1,201 Posts
    Go into the properties of the device and enable something in there, I forget what it's called - it will make it a bit faster, but it will also make it more likely that you lose data if you don't safely remove it.
    Device Manager -> Find your external HDD -> Go into Properties -> Policies Tab -> Enable Write Caching

5. Post #5
    October 2009
    316 Posts
    Did you guys read? A format brought it down to horrible speeds and I'm trying to figure out why it's gotten slower - not try to make a normally functioning device go faster.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    1,201 Posts
    I highly doubt this will work and I'll get dumbs for it.

Use the back USB ports. The ones on the front panel tend to be unstable.

7. Post #7
    October 2009
    316 Posts
    My front USB ports haven't worked in about a year, so I only use the ones on the back.