1. Post #441

December 2009
    5 Posts
    I meant that the first one isn't special except for its shaders, which are just special because they're bizarre shaders, whereas the third has calculated intention behind it!

the semi-pretentious analyzation was the only way I was going to get anywhere with that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

2. Post #442
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,406 Posts
    Best news I've had today!

It builds! (On OS X at least :P) I just need to write a few tests now to make sure it works, but my garbage collector is effectively done.
    I just hope something terrible won't happen. :ohdear:

As for "increasing speeeeeeed", I think the only thing I can think of doing is making the actual deallocation portion lockfree (which wouldn't be too hard, actually :D), but that introduces the possibility of a worst case scenario, where the allocation pool cannot find any free memory, but the collector has not yet deallocated the needed block, which results in the pool throwing an exception, and everything shutting down. (The only time the collector throws an exception is when memory cannot be allocated, much like the C++ STL. There are no catches or exception handling anywhere.)

If everything seems to end up working right, I'll be able to start on my scripting language's VM after the next reddit game jam (Which is this friday. Gonna redeem myself or possibly die trying :black101:)

Anyways, hope you all are having as good a day as I am now! :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 3Winner Winner x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #443
    a2h
    Gold Member

September 2008
    2,460 Posts
    Progress on my installer!

It doesn't extract files yet, but still. :buddy:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 10Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #444
    January 2009
    1,038 Posts
    Progress on my installer!

It doesn't extract files yet, but still. :buddy:
    That's actually a very decent UI.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17 (list)

5. Post #445
    a2h
    Gold Member

September 2008
    2,460 Posts
    That's actually a very decent UI.
    Well, it's very close to the Opera 11 installer, but damn, it is the nicest installer on Windows I've ever used, and I wish Opera would make it usable for others.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #446
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,406 Posts
    Well, it's very close to the Opera 11 installer, but damn, it is the nicest installer on Windows I've ever used, and I wish Opera would make it usable for others.
    Same here, I love the Opera installer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #447
    July 2010
    1,059 Posts
    Can you post a diagram of it? I work out a lot and run (I'm on the track team at my high school) but my abs are crap, I should exercise them more.

Something like that... Have a friend throw a ball and catch it. Well you catch the ball go down and put the ball over you head. Situp and throw the ball (like an overhead). Repeat.

Notes:

Throw the ball had and far eg: a couple meters. Start off with 3 sets of 25.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 8 (list)

8. Post #448
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    3,577 Posts
    Same here, I love the Opera installer.
    sudo yum install opera

:(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 4Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #449
    hOnK :o)
    December 2009
    3,987 Posts

Something like that... Have a friend throw a ball and catch it. Well you catch the ball go down and put the ball over you head. Situp and throw the ball (like an overhead). Repeat.

Notes:

Throw the ball had and far eg: a couple meters. Start off with 3 sets of 25.
    WAYWO v15: Where Are You Working Out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 26Winner Winner x 4Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

10. Post #450
    September 2007
    1,001 Posts
    Abs training
    Awesome going to try that out tomorrow:)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

11. Post #451
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,406 Posts
    I ran into the weirdest bug earlier tonight. My garbage collector library defines operator new and delete, so that you can just use it as a drop in replacement. But it turns out, that if you place the operator new and delete definitions inside a compilable unit (rather than just a header), *anything* that is linked to it will use this version of operator new and delete. This was causing the memory pool to try to allocate from itself, return NULL, and then continue on its merry way. Then the collector tried to do the same as well. I found it *very* interesting, to say the least. The way I got around this was by defining the operator new and delete for the pool and collector. (This way when they are finally deleted, your program won't segfault on exit, as the pool and collector would try to collect themselves)

Of course, I'm now getting some weird "read size" errors.

All I'll say is I'm glad valgrind exists :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #452
    COMEDY POLICE
    January 2009
    1,761 Posts
    So who's the lucky bastard who said that I was gonna port my engine AGAIN ?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Belgium Show Events Funny Funny x 16Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #453
    April 2009
    1,005 Posts
    What's the point ? Do you intend to use DX11 features, crippling all the XP users ?
    (Not an XP user myself, but there's still a lot of these)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete France Show Events

14. Post #454
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    What's the point ? Do you intend to use DX11 features, crippling all the XP users ?
    It's time for change then.

I'd rather install a new OS than not being able to play whatever Xerios3 comes up with!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #455
    December 2008
    271 Posts
    Working on an exam project in Java, close to finishing up the base engine and on to actually giving the game content soon:

Doesn't really show much, as its all work on the engine and not the game.

Also its not done in OpenGL because they said that we cant use that, as I'm the only one knowing how to use it in class and none of the teachers does... -.-

Edited:

The goal of the game is to catch sheep with the UFOs tractor beam.
    There are probably be scenery, obstacles and maybe enemies or some other way to get killed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #456
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    Also its not done in OpenGL because they said that we cant use that, as I'm the only one knowing how to use it in class and none of the teachers does... -.-
    I hate it when things like this happen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

17. Post #457
    COMEDY POLICE
    January 2009
    1,761 Posts
    I guess it's a perfect year to screw XP users over :banjo:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

18. Post #458
    December 2008
    271 Posts
    I hate it when things like this happen.
    Yup, same here
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events

19. Post #459
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,072 Posts
    So who's the lucky bastard who said that I was gonna port my engine AGAIN ?

What theme is that? It looks great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Croatia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #460
    December 2010
    217 Posts
    crippling all the XP users ?
    Seriously, who gives a shit about people staying on XP. It's a shitty OS, and it's 2011. Come on now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 19Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

21. Post #461
    December 2008
    271 Posts
    Seriously, who gives a shit about people staying on XP. It's a shitty OS, and it's 2011. Come on now
    47.2% of the internet...
    - http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events

22. Post #462
    December 2010
    217 Posts
    47.2% of the internet need to get with the times.

It's about time we moved on from that 10 year old pile of crap.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 19Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #463
    December 2008
    271 Posts
    47.2% of the internet need to get with the times.

It's about time we moved on from that 10 year old pile of crap.
    That 10 year old pile of crap is still usable, it works, and most of the holes have been patched up so its a perfect valid system..
    Also if you look from a developers point of view, you would want to get out to the biggest possible audience, who would ditch 50% of the market?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #464
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    It wasn't bad, but it's old.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

25. Post #465
    COMEDY POLICE
    January 2009
    1,761 Posts
    You shouldn't rely on internet browser os, my game is gonna be played by gamers after all and not by some facebook users.

These are the most accurate stats I could find : http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
    and according to them Dx11 and Win7 users are increasing at a nice rate =)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

26. Post #466
    December 2008
    271 Posts
    You shouldn't rely on internet browser os, my game is gonna be played by gamers after all and not by some facebook users.

These are the most accurate stats I could find : http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
    Point taken, but still would you ditch 25% of your potential market?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 3Dumb Dumb x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

27. Post #467
    December 2010
    217 Posts
    That 10 year old pile of crap is still usable, it works, and most of the holes have been patched up so its a perfect valid system..
    Just like the hole of always running as Administrator unless you go out of your way to log in as an unprivileged user?

Also if you look from a developers point of view, you would want to get out to the biggest possible audience, who would ditch 50% of the market?
    The faster everyone drops support for XP, the quicker people will move on.

Was it acceptable to still be using Windows 95 in 2005? Of course not. The only reason it's seen to be acceptable to use XP is because people has this misguided idea of Vista and 7 sucking.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

28. Post #468
    February 2009
    1,827 Posts

You would have thought they would filter the 100% Steam out of the application results :-S

Edited:

Seeing as you HAVE to be running steam to use the survey and all
    Edited:
    sorry for breaking the automerge
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #469
    December 2010
    217 Posts
    As I said, Windows 95 users in 2005 could hardly expect everything to be compatible with their OS, so why should we make a special case for XP users.

Edited:

automerge breaker :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #470
    May 2010
    5,382 Posts
    As I said, Windows 95 users in 2005 could hardly expect everything to be compatible with their OS, so why should we make a special case for XP users.

Edited:

Because in 2005 hardly anyone was using win95 but lots of people still use XP
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #471
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,267 Posts

Edited:

There was 98, ME, and 2000 between 95 and XP, with major architectural/other (i.e. the move from FAT16, full protected-mode 32 bit, NT kernel, the growth of OGL and D3D and the ATi/nvidia duopoly) changes in between. There is only Vista between XP and 7 and Vista wasn't the architectural shift Longhorn was supposed to be.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Thailand Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

32. Post #472
    February 2009
    1,827 Posts
    Because in 2005 hardly anyone was using win95 but lots of people still use XP
    If you continue adding back compatibility and back compatibility, for OS's that have not moved on, it just bloats the code, and keeps things from working at there best, the same people who would complain about having to use a new OS for a game, would then next complain about it not looking the same as all the other brilliant games that use theese new features.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

33. Post #473
    December 2010
    217 Posts
    There was 98, ME, and 2000 between 95 and XP, with major architectural/other (i.e. the move from FAT16, full protected-mode 32 bit, NT kernel, the growth of OGL and D3D and the ATi/nvidia duopoly) changes in between. There is only Vista between XP and 7 and Vista wasn't the architectural shift Longhorn was supposed to be.
    Vista was the first consumer Windows with proper support for 64 bit.

I'm aware of Windows XP x64, but it was a trainwreck that became unsupported before SP3 was released.

I'd call proper support for 64 bit Long Mode a major shift.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

34. Post #474
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,267 Posts
    It matters very little in the APIs one targets and hasn't meant much for Windows architecturally. If Microsoft were to up and move to ARM the same would apply.

Edited:

That said, the point is moot - if someone were to have an x64 system Windows XP would be out of the question anyway, according to your reasoning.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Thailand Show Events

35. Post #475
    COMEDY POLICE
    January 2009
    1,761 Posts
    What theme is that? It looks great.
    Almost missed your post, it's Clearscreen Sharp =)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Belgium Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #476
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,095 Posts
    I'm working on a basic webserver coded in C++, called Broad Peak. It's a trainwreck right now that doesn't really work, and can be crashed incredibly easily (ask tur- I mean Combino), but hey, it's a start. I'll end up rewriting it in a couple hours.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

37. Post #477
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,493 Posts
    If Vista hadn't failed epically XP might not have such a large chunk of users.

...except in schools.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #478
    December 2010
    217 Posts
    If Vista hadn't failed epically XP might not have such a large chunk of users.

...except in schools.
    Vista never 'failed epically'. I ran the one install from December 07 to March 10 when I upgraded to 7.

The common misconception that Vista was terrible is a result of the shonky journalism of moronic 'tech writers' that don't deserve their own job title.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

39. Post #479
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Solution: Use OpenGL
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

40. Post #480
    April 2010
    2,325 Posts
    Vista never 'failed epically'. I ran the one install from December 07 to March 10 when I upgraded to 7.

The common misconception that Vista was terrible is a result of the shonky journalism of moronic 'tech writers' that don't deserve their own job title.
    Im using vista right now, and im pretty sure its awful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Disagree x 9Agree x 5Zing x 1Dumb x 1Informative x 1 (list)