1. Post #81
    This title has been removed due to a copyright claim from Viacom Inc.
    July 2008
    3,484 Posts
    My next project is to create a sort antivirus that tag's site's as unsafe, and blocks unsafe behavior (eg a page downloading a file without you telling you too), but it's going to be a chrome extension. Time to finally learn javascript.

inb4 web programming.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #82
    December 2010
    217 Posts
    Working on a 6502 emulator.

Code:
    .segment "CODE"
    	brk

lda #$BE
    	ldx #$EF

nmi:
    		rti
    	reset:
    		rti
    	irq:
    		lda #$DE
    		ldx #$AD
    		rti

.segment "VECTORS"
    	.word nmi, reset, irq
    Once assembled and linked, the image can be run through the emulator:

The 'brk' instruction is executed, which pushes the current program counter and processor flags to the stack, and jumps to the BRK ISR (the 16 bit address to the BRK ISR is given at 0xFFFE in the 6502 architecture).

The opcode $A9 is the 'lda #$DE' (the first instruction of the BRK ISR). I haven't implemented lda yet, so that's why it's saying illegal opcode.

The source is here if anyone's interested: http://github.com/charliesome/6502. I'm hoping to get to a point where my emulator can run Apple II or Commodore 64 programs, although that's a long way off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Programming King Programming King x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #83
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,509 Posts
    My school's CMS just piggybacks off our district's CMS, but seeing as we have one IT staff throughout the district it makes sense.

http://www.everett.k12.wa.us/everetthigh

It's not bad but they sure do love their PDFs there. Some of the teacher sites might be hilarious though.

By way of content, I'm going to go ahead and improve my config UI for my multi-browser kludge. Right now it looks like this:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

4. Post #84
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,288 Posts
    At my school they monitor our screens and close any "Suspect Programs"...
    It's funny though, they keep the "AB Tutor Manager" on every individual computer... Meaning, with a little tampering we can access it. So, they kind of get pissed when you watch their screens, and take control of their computers...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 6Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #85
    January 2009
    651 Posts
    It's funny though, they keep the "AB Tutor Manager" on every individual computer... Meaning, with a little tampering we can access it. So, they kind of get pissed when you watch their screens, and take control of their computers...
    Where do you live? Soviet?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #86
    December 2010
    161 Posts
    Hey,

ARGHHH

There is some really, really obnoxious, inconsistent padding bug when I render my stuff and it's making me put my head through the wall :bang:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

7. Post #87
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,288 Posts
    Where do you live? Soviet?
    England... I keep them on their toes...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #88
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,509 Posts
    Ah, here we go.

Tkinter is ass ugly, but what the hell. I don't look at this thing often anyway.

9. Post #89
    hOnK :o)
    December 2009
    3,987 Posts
    Oh wow, in the highlights again. I don't even know if logic gates counts as programming. Oh well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

10. Post #90
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,406 Posts
    I've been constantly running into a problem with my garbage collector since the beginning of this excursion, which is how I can easily track what is being deleted, and where. My solution was simple: just use a list of addresses that are currently allocated, then deallocate the given chunk that contains the address.

However, I don't want to go off and use the default std::allocator for whichever container I'm using (it defeats the purpose of having a garbage collector). So originally, I was going to use the custom stl allocator that I've written which allows people to use the C++ STL with my collector. But wait, this would mean whenever I deallocate from the custom allocator, it would be sent to the collector, so the allocator only ever grows, and nothing is every truly deleted. oops :P

So, I've changed from a basic list, to a producer/consumer queue. Now my issue is (almost) resolved. A simple std::queue works just fine for what I'm doing (writing to the back of it, popping from the front). By default, the std::queue type uses an std::deque as the underlying container, but anything that implements a front, back, pop_front, and push_back function should work fine. In this case, an std::list can be used.

But, an std::list is doubly linked, which means we waste a whole sizeof(size_t) bytes per "delete" of an address. This isn't an efficient use of memory, and could cause a "stop the world" scenario, as the p/c queue is just storing a size_t. Once we run out of space in our allotted chunk, and then we have to pause everything bu the collector. Not good.

A forward_list from C++0x would be perfect here, but unfortunately, I'm trying to stay cross platform with current technology. Which means I probably need to write my own. :/

On the bright side, I'm so extremely close to being done with this :D (then it is just testing, testing, testing and possibly a benchmark)

11. Post #91
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    4,967 Posts
    Gah, my old school had this. Seeing you mouse move on it's own is really disturbing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

12. Post #92
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,969 Posts
    Implementing a timer for smooth and non-framerate-dependent interpolation was a lot simpler than I thought, why'd I put it off for a few days?

Edited:

also, WAYWO v15: Post your school's website edition

Edited:

dangit WAYWO... http://sagehillschool.org/default.aspx

13. Post #93
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    438 Posts
    Not exactly related to this thread. But I'm sure would be answered faster here, then anywhere else.
    I'm trying to get that little "help" window show when I get to an error. Here is what I'm talking about:

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/344/thisk.jpg
    I'm using VS2010 student.

14. Post #94
    January 2009
    651 Posts
    And my schools site win http://ntigymnasiet.se/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

15. Post #95
    January 2008
    912 Posts
    V14 OP was better imo. :smith:
    Definitely agree, this OP kind of sucks.

16. Post #96
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,969 Posts
    Not exactly related to this thread. But I'm sure would be answered faster here, then anywhere else.
    I'm trying to get that little "help" window show when I get to an error. Here is what I'm talking about:

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/344/thisk.jpg
    I'm using VS2010 student.
    the error carefully explains how you must run spriteBatch.Begin before you can run a spriteBatch.Draw.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

17. Post #97
    July 2010
    1,059 Posts
    Arch Linux was all good until I forgot to select wireless_utils during install thus no internet. My attempts to find the mystical /arch/pkg directory on the install cd failed. Did I mention I can't re-install now because it just boots into GRUB (disregarding the install cd)?

Edit: Yes, yes, user error. But it was supposed to be included in base-devel, which I selected by the way.

Edit: I'm thinking I'll just throw one of my many Ubuntu cd's at it :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

18. Post #98
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,969 Posts
    Oh god...

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 21Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

19. Post #99
    I'm Better Than You
    Dennab
    August 2008
    5,414 Posts
    I really need to slow down posting. 20 posts out of 90 in this thread are mine. (Top poster already )
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8 (list)

20. Post #100
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    438 Posts
    the error carefully explains how you must run spriteBatch.Begin before you can run a spriteBatch.Draw.
    Well, I know that, lol. I'm mean, the window itself explaining the problem. How do I enable that? When I get an exception, it only shows in the output window.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

21. Post #101
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,485 Posts
    I really need to slow down posting. 20 posts out of 90 in this thread are mine. (Top poster already )
    Where is this list of top posters anyway? I haven't found it yet...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

22. Post #102
    December 2010
    217 Posts
    Did I mention I can't re-install now because it just boots into GRUB (disregarding the install cd)?
    Fix your BIOS settings
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

23. Post #103
    I'm Better Than You
    Dennab
    August 2008
    5,414 Posts
    http://www.facepunch.com/misc.php?do...sted&t=1044832
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

24. Post #104
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,969 Posts
    on the right of every thread, there's the replies tab. The number of replies is highlighted blue.

Click it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Late Late x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

25. Post #105
    July 2010
    1,059 Posts
    Fix your BIOS settings
    Way ahead of you. I'll turn off the power and remove the battery >:{

USB-CDROM
    NET
    HDD-0

Edit:

It forces the BIOS to load the defaults...

Edit:

My iso is fine, burn't cd is fine. Ubuntu 10.04 loads fine but Arch doesn't. Whatever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

26. Post #106
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,485 Posts
    on the right of every thread, there's the replies tab. The number of replies is highlighted blue.

Click it.

Oh snap. And thanks. I'd never have found that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #107
    I'm Better Than You
    Dennab
    August 2008
    5,414 Posts
    Yeah I was ranked 5th or something, with only one piece of content :V
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #108
    May 2010
    5,384 Posts
    Guys seriously?
    Out of 90ish posts i think theres been 2 that were content
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #109
    I'm Better Than You
    Dennab
    August 2008
    5,414 Posts
    Guys seriously?
    Out of 90ish posts i think theres been 2 that were content
    Did I post this yet?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #110
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,793 Posts
    My minecraft server has a nice "Tick" event I can hook into (it runs every second) and I wanted to choose a data type to hold a "SecondsSinceServerStart" variable.

I chose long, and I wanted to see just how long it would last before it would overflow...
    292277266 Millenia

Just a bit random.

Reading further, this should be 20 times per second, woops.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #111
    July 2010
    1,059 Posts
    My minecraft server has a nice "Tick" event I can hook into (it runs every second) and I wanted to choose a data type to hold a "SecondsSinceServerStart" variable.

I chose long, and I wanted to see just how long it would last before it would overflow...
    292277266 Millenia

Just a bit random.

Reading further, this should be 20 times per second, woops.
    Don't forget to factor in 98.2% up time because you'll be running it on an atom processor with home brew server software that stores everything in ram.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #112
    February 2008
    117 Posts
    gonna make a text based game with c++
    i just started out with c++ and i want to know how you do something that stays in the text thingy
    like this (poor paint):

is there any framework or something for this
    im new to desktop programming
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #113
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,222 Posts
    i just started out with c++ and i want to know how you do something that stays in the text thingy
    like this (poor paint):

Look up Curses.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

34. Post #114
    December 2010
    217 Posts
    Fixed memory mapping on my emulator, and mapped the address $201 to character output.

Hello World from 6502 assembly:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

35. Post #115
    I'm Better Than You
    Dennab
    August 2008
    5,414 Posts
    What is that emulator for? (Which platforms is it meant to emulate?)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

36. Post #116
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts
    like this (poor paint):

I'm not aware of any frameworks for what you're looking to do (Though I can't say I've ever looked ), but you could accomplish this by clearing the screen before you enter another line of text, then re-drawing the HUD thing up top followed by the text you want displayed.

37. Post #117
    December 2010
    217 Posts
    What is that emulator for? (Which platforms is it meant to emulate?)
    It's an emulator for the MOS 6502 CPU, and could theoretically emulate any platform using that CPU as long as the right memory mappings, etc. are setup.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

38. Post #118
    May 2010
    5,384 Posts
    Look up Curses.
    Do you an ncurses?
    http://invisible-island.net/ncurses/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

39. Post #119
    February 2008
    117 Posts
    I'm not aware of any frameworks for what you're looking to do (Though I can't say I've ever looked ), but you could accomplish this by clearing the screen before you enter another line of text, then re-drawing the HUD thing up top followed by the text you want displayed.
    how do you clear
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #120
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts
    how do you clear
    Call system("cls");

I'm pretty sure the system() function just takes a string and runs it as a command.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 14Programming King Programming King x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)