1. Post #1
    Person
    June 2008
    5,562 Posts
    Current Version: 1.2 Beta

Hello! Thank you for joining me today for the launch of TextCraft Online! DJ-J3 and I have been working for a while on this, and we're finally releasing it.

TextCraft is a crafting simulator. You can find items, craft them, craft the crafts etc.!

[release]
    Go here to register and download!
    [/release]
    [release]
    Features:
    [list]
    Fully online! You first register, then you simply log in via the program! When you want to save, type in "save" and it'll save it ONLINE! In addition, you can launch it up and it'll automatically check for a new version, and alert you if you're out of date![/list][list]
    Offline mode! In this mode, you can edit a text file and make your own items and recipes![/list]
    Known bugs:
    [list]If it cannot find "properties.prop", it will crash[/list][list]When saving, it will say that it saved to a file if using online mode, while it only saved to the server.[/list][list]If you close before manually saving, it will not save your progress.[/list][/release]
    [release]
    Planned features:
    [list]
    -Leaderboards! Find out who has the highest monetary value![/list][list]
    -Achievements! Get 500 Obsidian? NO PROBLEM![/list][/release]
    [release]
    Changelog:
    Version 1.3 Beta/Alpha:
    [list]Fixed exploit in server[/list][list]Made password be stars upon pushing enter[/list][list]Fixed crashing on failure to load "properties.prop"[/list]Version 1.2 Beta
    [list]Fixed "URI too long" error[/list]Version 1.1 Beta
    [list]Fixed crash on singleplayer[/list][list]Fixed sounds not playing.[/list]Version 1.0 Beta
    [list]Released![/list][/release]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,584 Posts
    My details aren't going to be stored in text files, right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 14Zing Zing x 5Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Person
    June 2008
    5,562 Posts
    My details aren't going to be stored in text files, right?

Passwords are stored, hashed, in a mySQL database so there's no way people can view them and even if they could they couldn't decrypt them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 4 (list)

4. Post #4
    February 2009
    853 Posts
    Fully online! You first register, then you simply log in via the program! When you want to save, type in "save" and it'll save it ONLINE! In addition, you can launch it up and it'll automatically check for a new version, and alert you if you're out of date!
    Revolutionary.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 29Zing Zing x 3Winner Winner x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,222 Posts
    Passwords are stored, hashed, in a mySQL database so there's no way people can view them and even if they could they couldn't decrypt them.
    Just for the hell of being thorough, what hashing algorithm did you use?

6. Post #6
    February 2009
    853 Posts
    Just for the hell of being thorough, what hashing algorithm did you use?
    Probably rot13.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Person
    June 2008
    5,562 Posts
    just for the hell of being thorough, what hashing algorithm did you use?

md5.

Edited:

Although I'm converting it to SHA1 very soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    1,240 Posts
    md5.

Edited:

SHA256. And salt them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    June 2008
    1,243 Posts
    Or use something like OpenID so you don't have to store passwords at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,222 Posts
    md5.

Edited:

Then you must probably know that MD5 isn't deemed safe anymore. That's why you ought to use a SHA algorithm. But even that isn't invulnerable to rainbow tables, and as such, you have to use a salt like ShaRose mentioned. Converting to SHA1 will mean to re-ask every user their password, in the future, for everything you do, I suggest skipping MD5 altogether.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,607 Posts
    SHA256. And salt them.
    Fuck that, SHA-512 and double salt them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

12. Post #12
    Person
    June 2008
    5,562 Posts
    [release]UPDATE v1.2
    [list]Fixed "URI too long" error[/list][/release]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    1,185 Posts
    Just downloaded it looking good, there are some broken items though.

14. Post #14
    October 2010
    751 Posts

Oops
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 19 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,332 Posts
    lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    Everyone has a $1 title
    November 2008
    7,024 Posts
    Damnit geel, i told you not to release it yet. :arghfist::saddowns: (internet went out last night, that's why i suddenly logged off)

Edited:

Sorry guys, this is obviously a premature alpha release. But now that it's out anyway, you could tell us what to improve(other than the things already said above).

Edited:

Also, the global items list is temporary, i'm planning on making a better one, that's actually harder to get anything valuable. :science: (and protect it from being able to be seen from /getitems.php, like i said from the beginning(geel :colbert:). )

Edited:

Also, a bit overhyped in the OP, geel?

Edited:

Also, again. It's not "Textcraft online", it's just "Textcraft", with an extra feature, which happens to be online.

Edited:

Did you spend 24*6 minutes to find all that? because your hour value i set to 6.

If not, could you tell me how you did that, so that i can fix it?

Edited:

Just downloaded it looking good, there are some broken items though.
    What do you mean by broken?

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,477 Posts
    Dat automerge, Dj.

18. Post #18
    Everyone has a $1 title
    November 2008
    7,024 Posts
    Dat automerge, Dj.

Edited:

Btw geel, i fixed all the bugs in the "known bugs" list.

Edited:

Will update tonight, with several other fixes.

Also, geel, put the todo list in the op

http://www.toodledo.com/views/public...d4ca5044633464

Edited:

Also, if a mod could be kind enough to change the title to just TextCraft that would be awesome. :3:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Everyone has a $1 title
    November 2008
    7,024 Posts

:woop:

20. Post #20
    Person
    June 2008
    5,562 Posts
    [release]Version 1.3 Beta/Alpha:
    [list]Fixed exploit in server[/list][list]Made password be stars upon pushing enter[/list][list]Fixed crashing on failure to load "properties.prop"[/list][/release]

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    1,185 Posts
    What do you mean by broken?
    Some of the items on the list can not be made

22. Post #22
    HOLY FUCK EVERYONE HAS TITLES NOW
    January 2008
    4,241 Posts
    is obsidian worth anything?

23. Post #23
    Person
    June 2008
    5,562 Posts
    is obsidian worth anything?
    At the moment we don't have assigned wealth to anything though that will be added.

24. Post #24
    Everyone has a $1 title
    November 2008
    7,024 Posts
    Some of the items on the list can not be made
    Oh, that's just my lazyness.

I'm planning on creating a vast item list, which works and will be the default one online.

Edited:

Also, we're looking for someone who can make a proper site for this.

25. Post #25
    Person
    June 2008
    5,562 Posts
    Wait what

Edited:

The site is fine as it is, besides all we need is design. I can do all the code. And I can do most if not all of the design...

26. Post #26
    Everyone has a $1 title
    November 2008
    7,024 Posts
    Wait what

Edited:

The site is fine as it is, besides all we need is design. I can do all the code. And I can do most if not all of the design...
    I meant the design.

27. Post #27
    November 2008
    1,045 Posts
    someone who can make a proper site
    hi
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Estonia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,477 Posts

:woop:
    You were bound to break your own automerge sooner or later!

29. Post #29
    Dennab
    May 2008
    1,243 Posts
    Too minecraft'ish.. be original..

Edited:

Also i cant figure out any of the recipes, mixing the obvious stuff and gets nothing..
    Can i split wood?

Edited:

This is shit. Not 1 log not 2 log not not 4.. nothing.. NOt even using stones work with anything
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    hOnK :o)
    December 2009
    3,987 Posts

Edited:

Also i cant figure out any of the recipes, mixing the obvious stuff and gets nothing..
    Can i split wood?

Edited:

This is shit. Not 1 log not 2 log not not 4.. nothing.. NOt even using stones work with anything
    Fuck you with a rake, this is awesome.

Great work DJ... Oh and you too, geel!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    October 2010
    751 Posts
    Did you spend 24*6 minutes to find all that? because your hour value i set to 6.
    No, don't know what's up with that.

If not, could you tell me how you did that, so that i can fix it?
    The client remembers the items by itself, and just 'saves' to the server. That's fine if the online component is just single player that happens to save to the internet, but if you're planning to make this competitive you shouldn't be trusting the client input at all.

I just fiddled with the request in Fiddler and added way more diamonds.

You should have the server manage all logic and state, and essentially have the client act as a dumb terminal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

32. Post #32
    Everyone has a $1 title
    November 2008
    7,024 Posts

Edited:

Can i split wood?

Edited:

I've said this before, the current items are temporary. I'll be making a better item collection some day, when i feel like it.

Edited:

The client remembers the items by itself, and just 'saves' to the server. That's fine if the online component is just single player that happens to save to the internet, but if you're planning to make this competitive you shouldn't be trusting the client input at all.

I just fiddled with the request in Fiddler and added way more diamonds.

You should have the server manage all logic and state, and essentially have the client act as a dumb terminal.
    :byodood: Why is everything possible to fiddle with today :arghfist::saddowns:

:buddy:

33. Post #33
    October 2010
    751 Posts
    :byodood: Why is everything possible to fiddle with today :arghfist::saddowns:
    Because you had too much trust in the client
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

34. Post #34
    Everyone has a $1 title
    November 2008
    7,024 Posts
    Because you had too much trust in the client
    Yeah, well in my defence i wasn't planning on making anything multiplayer related from the beginning. Then geel came in.

Edited:

Not saying i blame him though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    Person
    June 2008
    5,562 Posts
    Siemens, can you please try hacking it again?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    3,661 Posts
    Siemens, can you please try hacking it again?
    "Hacking"
    Also, i can make a design for you if you want.

37. Post #37
    Person
    June 2008
    5,562 Posts
    "Hacking"
    Also, i can make a design for you if you want.
    I realize it's not actually hacking but whatever.

Also, that'd be nice, sure.

38. Post #38
    Dennab
    May 2008
    1,243 Posts
    So if anybody could tell me how to make a stick..

39. Post #39
    Everyone has a $1 title
    November 2008
    7,024 Posts
    So if anybody could tell me how to make a stick..
    I just fixed this for you. 1 wood = 4 sticks
    1 log = 4 wood.

Edited:

Goddamn i hate 000webhost. :argh: constant downtimes and instability.

Anyone know any good free webhosts? I don't want to buy a webhost before this game is even worth playing seriously.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    7,513 Posts
    webhost =/= domain so you know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)