1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    4,136 Posts

[table="width: 1024, align: left"]
    [tr][td]
    The Intruder is a survival horror game where you go prepare yourself for the imminent, inescapible encounter with the eponymous Intruder.

You play as yourself after a horrifying encounter with an unknown entity. Your memory is greatly impaired, and you don't know what happened or where your things are. The only thing you remember clearly, is that it will return.
    [/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]

[tr]
    [td]
    [/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]
    [tr][td]
    As the game's concludes, the strain on your memory is so great that you don't even remember where around the house you left your items. You will have to go and look for them, aided by vague memories, with the Intruder bound to catch up with you any second now.

You spend most of the game preparing yourself for that inescapable encounter, while trying to prevent running in to it early. You have several in-game days to explore the surrounding areas, look for weapons, ammunition and tools. You can even barricade your house to buy yourself some more time.

You'll also need to eat and sleep every once in a while, to stay healthy and energetic. After all, you may have to run real fast at unexpected times. How far you go with all this is up to you. Is it worth looking for a gun, or would the axe in your backyard suffice to defend yourself? Would two bullets be enough to kill it? Would boarding the windows and locking the doors buy you enough time?
    Is five hours of sleep enough, or does that slow you down too much? How long can you refrain from going back home to eat, before you actually start feeling unwell?

These are all things you have to think about. It's all about making sacrifices. Careless decisions will leave you unprepared when the time comes.
    [/td][/tr]
    [/table]

[tr][td]
    * means already functional

Advanced AI: procedural animation, a procedural model and simulated goals and emotions*

Continuous Time The time remains consistent between maps. 1 real second = 1 in-game minute*

Non-linearity: Small free-roaming world where you can discover set pieces at any time, in any order, or skip them entirely*

Interaction System: Open drawers, cupboards and doors by using your mouse.

Barricading: Board up windows and barricading doors to protect your home*

Intruder Placement System: A system that decides when and where the Intruder shows up*

Memory system: Press R to close your eyes and try to regain useful memories.

Finale Event: Found items are randomly hidden in your house, and you have to look for them before the Intruder gets to you.*

Survival System: You have to eat and sleep every once in a while, or you will be slower and more vulnerable.*

Dynamic day/night cycle: If you don't pay attention, you might find yourself alone outside. In complete darkness.

Diverse Weapons: Multiple weapons with distinct qualities and difficulty to obtain.

Non-essential items: Several types of useful items that are not mandatory to collect.

Decent mod capabilities: This game could work with a completely different theme/setting, and I'm going to keep support of that in mind while developing the game.
    [/td][/tr]
    [/table]

[tr][td]
    Right now the project needs to be Greenlit before I can move further. If you want this to be on Steam, be sure to drop in and vote.

If you don't know what Steam Greenlight is, it's a voting system similar to the Steam Workshop, but for small games. If it gets enough votes, Valve will put it on Steam when it's released.

I've already talked to Valve about a Source Engine license, and they recommended me to get it Greenlit first, to be certain it's a good investment.
    [/td][/tr]
    [/table]

[tr][td]
    If you have ideas or feedback, you can post it here. This thread is probably easier to manage than the greenlight page.
    I've already had lots of good, useful feedback about the game, especially regarding possible multiplayer components.

Thanks for all the support! I look forward to finishing this game, and getting it on Steam together.
    [/td][/tr]
    [/table]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Winner x 209Optimistic x 5Dumb x 2Artistic x 1Funny x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,130 Posts
    Seems like a pretty cool concept. I'd definitely play it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 40 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    6,286 Posts
    Shouldn't this be in GGD and not GD?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 35Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    4,136 Posts
    Shouldn't this be in GGD and not GD?
    I'm not sure. If a mod thinks so, I'll gladly move there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6Funny Funny x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Looks really impressive, can't wait to be able to play it.

Do you have a time set for when it may be ready?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

6. Post #6
    March 2011
    3,663 Posts
    Ree! Ree! Ree! Ree! Dundunn Dundunnn!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

7. Post #7
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,787 Posts
    This really sounds like a game I should play; I submit my support with a like and a favourite.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,084 Posts
    I just gotta ask, were you inspired in any way by Slenderman or Marble Hornets? I'm getting the same kinda vibe from this as I do with those.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 25 (list)

9. Post #9
    Well Rolled
    July 2006
    746 Posts
    I'm really looking forward to playing this game at some point in the future at a LAN party with a bunch of my friends in a dark basement!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    4,136 Posts
    I just gotta ask, were you inspired in any way by Slenderman or Marble Hornets? I'm getting the same kinda vibe from this as I do with those.
    Inspired is the right word. I've seen Marble Hornets episodes, and some Slenderman art, and I quite like the look of it.

I'm not confining myself to the established canon, or what the Slenderman is supposed to be capable of/look like.

I might deliberately stray away from its resemblance to the Slenderman. Some people love it, but others think I'm jumping on the Slender bandwagon, which is really annoying considering I initially started this project in 2010.

Taking long breaks from the project has really come to bite me in the arse in that regard. Apparently indie horror games are in the zeitgeist. Luckily this idea is very original, and it should still prove very unique.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 66Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

11. Post #11
    Well Rolled
    July 2006
    746 Posts
    If/when you do incorporate multi-player, perhaps you should incorporate a system where you can play as some sort of other entity rather than just having friends for a co-op experience.

In most modern day games it angers me that I can't play as the monsters and bad guys anymore. What if I don't want to team up with my friends? What if I want to scare the living shit out of them instead? I thirst for a game where I can be the monster instead (or at least one of them perhaps -even an "easier" monster-).

Or perhaps you could play as some mysterious force that shifts the objects and items around to confuse the player even more.. Or maybe you could make it easier for them.. It would be interesting to see that dynamic game-play that comes with having that power in your hands.
    Another idea in the same notion is that whenever the player spots this mysterious entity, it drops whatever it was holding on the floor (so if it was holding a glass it would drop and shatter perhaps) and that could mess with the player's psyche.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 24 (list)

12. Post #12
    The Disabled Kid
    Dennab
    February 2011
    4,770 Posts
    I'll play it and then shit my pants.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 22Agree Agree x 3 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    4,136 Posts
    If/when you do incorporate multi-player, perhaps you should incorporate a system where you can play as some sort of other entity rather than just having friends for a co-op experience.

In most modern day games it angers me that I can't play as the monsters and bad guys anymore. What if I don't want to team up with my friends? What if I want to scare the living shit out of them instead? I thirst for a game where I can be the monster instead (or at least one of them perhaps -even an "easier" monster-).

Or perhaps you could play as some mysterious force that shifts the objects and items around to confuse the player even more.. Or maybe you could make it easier for them.. It would be interesting to see that dynamic game-play that comes with having that power in your hands.
    Another idea in the same notion is that whenever the player spots this mysterious entity, it drops whatever it was holding on the floor (so if it was holding a glass it would drop and shatter perhaps) and that could mess with the player's psyche.
    Sounds good actually. Right now most people are asking for co-op though.

Edited:

I'll play it and then shit my pants.
    On-disk clean pants DLC available at launch for only $2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 60Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    June 2011
    916 Posts
    You're getting some fame on Reddit too.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comme...nlight/c615akm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb x 19Useful x 2Informative x 2Funny x 1Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    December 2009
    1,995 Posts
    This game has the potential to actually let one player play as the monster/whatever it is... and give like 50 sounds of scary shit to put fear into the one player exploring whatever house/woods/sewer they are in.

Not that it would be easy to make... but...

God, that would be pretty damn cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

16. Post #16
    Oh no, what have I done!
    November 2007
    22,022 Posts
    If there's co-op, players should used the in game voicechat, and not use stuff like Skype. That way, players' communication could be shut off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 26Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    July 2005
    136 Posts
    This is on the "What-games-i-should-buy" list now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    January 2012
    712 Posts
    Will it be free to play?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 23Optimistic Optimistic x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,455 Posts
    Are the rooms of the house going to be procedurally generated or is it just the items within certain drawers/cupboards?

I also heard rumor about the main monster being randomized in some manner. How exactly would that work from a developers point of view?

I think it would be really cool if you didn't implement a fear system into the game. An insanity system maybe (for visions and hallucinations and the like), but when a game tries to tell me that I should be scared (via heavy breathing, audible heart beats, etc) it kinda breaks the immersion for me. Still, it's your game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    17,876 Posts
    If there's co-op, players should used the in game voicechat, and not use stuff like Skype. That way, players' communication could be shut off.
    It would be fun in co-op. Screams everywhere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

21. Post #21
    If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.
    November 2011
    7,079 Posts
    What do you mean by Continuous time, If I were to leave the computer and shut the game off, would it still be continuing time?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    14,649 Posts
    What do you mean by Continuous time, If I were to leave the computer and shut the game off, would it still be continuing time?
    No it means when you are ingame time will go by constantly. Like night time isn't a scripted event, it just comes and goes.

It would be pretty hard to make time keep going if you left the game...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.
    November 2011
    7,079 Posts
    No it means when you are ingame time will go by constantly. Like night time isn't a scripted event, it just comes and goes.

It would be pretty hard to make time keep going if you left the game...
    Read the clock on the computer, Like some old games did with console timers.

Edited:

Also, do you plan on release a beta or Early Demo?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    July 2009
    1,041 Posts
    The only thing that would stop me playing this is how scary it sounds, just by reading it. Very interesting concept that I'd very much like to try.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 22 (list)

25. Post #25
    Valor
    September 2008
    19,512 Posts
    Fucking amazing, upvoting this shit and telling everyone about it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

26. Post #26
    OFFICIAL DEAN of MAX PAYNE
    Dennab
    July 2009
    9,002 Posts
    I hope this gets greenlit, I'm very excited for this.

If it's going to be an independent version of Source, I better not hear any default Source sounds, decals, or models. It does wonders on breaking immersion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 45 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,115 Posts
    Already voted for it, I think I'll buy it when it gets accepted.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

28. Post #28
    LOO POO'S BIG FAN !!!!!!!! LOVES SHITPOSTING ALMOST AS MUCH!!!!
    October 2009
    9,103 Posts
    The placement of objects will be randomized right? Else looking around for stuff will just turn into: "turn right straight ahead bam i got the shotgun" which kills replayability
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 11Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    4,136 Posts
    The placement of objects will be randomized right? Else looking around for stuff will just turn into: "turn right straight ahead bam i got the shotgun" which kills replayability
    Exactly. And I will try to implement the Deus Ex approach of replayability: make sure the game has too much stuff to see in one playthrough.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 41 (list)

30. Post #30
    LOO POO'S BIG FAN !!!!!!!! LOVES SHITPOSTING ALMOST AS MUCH!!!!
    October 2009
    9,103 Posts
    randomization and too fucking much to see in one playthrough? Then yeah, you got replayability coming out of the ass.

Edited:

btw if you need a very terrible english accent or a thick belgian accent ring me up i am ready to do it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Belgium Show Events Funny Funny x 11Winner Winner x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,449 Posts
    Pretty sure that's a given

ninja'd, that's what you get for browsning while playing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

32. Post #32
    ~ pissing excellence ~
    May 2005
    2,844 Posts
    Looks awesome Royzo! Never knew you had the knowledge to mod etc, rated it and I hope that it works out for you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 6Friendly Friendly x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,244 Posts
    I clicked this thread expecting it to be playable at this very moment, and I read it waiting until I found the price to buy. I would definitely play the hell out of this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    4,136 Posts
    Looks awesome Royzo! Never knew you had the knowledge to mod etc, rated it and I hope that it works out for you.
    I'm a programmer/game designer at heart. 3D modelling is more of a Violon d'Ingres of mine.

Somehow I ended up getting known almost exclusively for the latter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 8Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

35. Post #35
    April 2012
    5,346 Posts
    Horror isn't really my thing, but the concept and trailer were enough to get me interested. When I initially saw this it reminded me of the opening bit in Scream, where the scene progressively becomes more intense as it's revealed the killer is watching Drew Berrymore's character (although this is obviously on a much larger scale and fairly different).

Interested in what you make of this, Royzo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

36. Post #36
    May 2011
    278 Posts
    Defiantly telling all my friends to up-vote this, will be great!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    June 2012
    370 Posts
    oh god this shit is too fucking SPOOKY for me

not even kidding the part where mr. spooky appears and everything starts going weird my eyes went weather

aaa i just watched the trailer again

fuck you royzo stop making spooky games that i will be forced to play
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Argentina Show Events Funny Funny x 20Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    "Epic Leddit pwner :)"
    March 2010
    12,348 Posts
    Will there be any small jump-scares just to catch the player off-guard? It'd work if they were rather subtle, for instance a book falling off a bookshelf. Doesn't seem scary but if the player doesn't know where the intruder is, he walks into a random room and something falls on the floor he'll be more paranoid.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    3,372 Posts
    Needs spoky skeletons

Loving the Amnesia-like interactivity, feels much more immersive
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    4,136 Posts
    Will there be any small jump-scares just to catch the player off-guard? It'd work if they were rather subtle, for instance a book falling off a bookshelf. Doesn't seem scary but if the player doesn't know where the intruder is, he walks into a random room and something falls on the floor he'll be more paranoid.
    There will be jump-scares, but not in the sense of a monster jumping out in front of you and going ooga blooga.

If you scare the shit out of yourself you either ran out of time or you made a poor decision.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 18Informative Informative x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)