1. Post #2601
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,535 Posts
    AK'z, Why do you give me tools?
    because I listened to the album and would have had more to say about it.

ironic tool rating.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #2602
    February 2012
    100 Posts
    [release]

Carissa's Wierd - Songs About Leaving

Genre: indie rock

In spite of sounding nothing like them, I find this band to be easiest to compare to The Smiths, seeing as how they share a similarly hopeless, yet hopeful atmosphere and mood.
    Only whereas The Smiths injected their songs with a certain playfulness and a sense of humor and irony, this is consistently bleak and humorless, yet still manages not to come off as a whiny, forced act.

Come to think of it, I guess a more apt comparison would be to The Cure's 1980-1982 output.

Anyway, it's indie rock(I refuse to use the terms sadcore or slowcore), it makes great use of the violin and piano, there are two vocalists that alternate between singing on separate tracks and joint effort, the atmosphere is highly melancholic, the lyrics are depressing as fuck, it is highly recommended.

8/10[/release]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Croatia Show Events

3. Post #2603
    Dennab
    December 2011
    5,623 Posts
    Kona Triangle - Sing A New Sapling Into Existence.

Genre: Trip Hop

Really good album, relaxing as fucking trip hop soundscapes man, you can sit and listen to this and just get completely lost in the atmosphere of the album. A lot like a hybrid between Lambent and Gold Panda, not as experimental as Lambent I'd say but not as energetic as Gold Panda, music definitely made to relax you.

10/10 man it's pretty much my favourite album right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Professional x64 Europe Show Events

4. Post #2604
    September 2010
    1,453 Posts
    Kona Triangle - Sing A New Sapling Into Existence.

Genre: Trip Hop

Really good album, relaxing as fucking trip hop soundscapes man, you can sit and listen to this and just get completely lost in the atmosphere of the album. A lot like a hybrid between Lambent and Gold Panda, not as experimental as Lambent I'd say but not as energetic as Gold Panda, music definitely made to relax you.

10/10 man it's pretty much my favourite album right now.
    I concur, Mango Rubicon is a great track in particular.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

5. Post #2605
    July 2009
    2,119 Posts
    [release][h2]Burial
    Kindred[/h2]

[h2]A[/h2]

The latter two of the three songs on this EP; Loner and Ashtray Wasp are just amazing.
    Kindred is good, but noticeably weaker than the other two, and it's longer than it needs to
    be. Ashtray Wasp feels a bit drawn out too, but on the whole this is a really great EP. [/release]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #2606
    January 2010
    9,683 Posts
    Best Rosetta album imo.
    The Galilean Satellites is awesome too but if you thought Wake/Lift was a little long then you would probably find that album even harder to get through. A Determinism of Morality does nothing for me though, still might be worth checking out for you since its their shortest by far.
    It's literally the first post metal/rock album I've listened to and it's based off a first listen.

Christian Mistress - Possession - 2012

A-

Heard about this album and gave it a listen. One thing that caught my ear was the fact that it sounds like a NWOBHM album. If someone told me this album was released in 1980 I would believe them. I can best describe their sounds sort of like a Black Sabbath meets Motorhead type of sound since it has some slow, heavy points while the majority consists of fast paced, catchy song playing. The production sounds pretty good too.

Although this album brings nothing really new to the table they do use the classic metal sound very well. My only other complaint is that the songs feel a bit samey-samey at some points. Otherwise if you're a fan of NWOBHM you should enjoy this album.

High Points: Possession, The Way Beyond, All Abandon, Haunted Hunted, Black to Gold
    Low point: Pentagram and Crucifix
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #2607
    October 2011
    471 Posts
    WZRD - KiD CuDi

A departure from what he normally does, make good music.

2-3 bearable tracks on an overall disappointing album, hopefully he will get the message from his fans and go back to rapping.

5/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #2608
    August 2010
    1,447 Posts

Sachiko M, Toshimaru Nakamura & Otomo Yoshihide - Good morning Good night
    doesn't even sound like music. that's a good thing.
    I don't know how to rate this sort of thing really, I need more time with onkyo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

9. Post #2609
    An airbag saved my life
    February 2007
    2,121 Posts
    Syven - Aikaintaite (2012):

8/10

Some gorgeous ritualistic sounding drone music mixed in with lush ambient soundscapes, overall it's one incredible atmospheric journey with brilliant soaring vocals that resonate through the abyss that is most of the tracks on this album. It may appear a tad repetitious however the use of such just strengthens the ritual-like incantations of this sound and once the instrumentation of a given track really start kicking it's one cathartic experience to say the least. The riffs here are absolutely sublime and I haven't heard a production nearly as good on a metal album in quite awhile.

Brilliant stuff, one of the best albums I've heard this year so far.

The Good: Unique Sound, Incredible Riffs, Great Vocals, Atmospheric, Ambient, Epic, Vibrant, Beautiful, Cathartic
    The Bad: Repetitious, Drawn Out, Pointless Segues, Tracks Lacking Variation, Monotone Sections

Favorite Track = "Ne jotka selviävät talvistamme"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

10. Post #2610
    September 2010
    7 Posts

I enjoyed it a lot more than I should have. It has a good quality all the way through in my opinion.
    So I'll give it an 8.5/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #2611
    Sadboys2001
    June 2011
    1,049 Posts

Metronomy - The English Riviera

Rating: 9/10, A

Brilliant Album, Best songs being "The Bay" and "The Look"

Original Sound, Great Talent. I have only recently Discovered this Band but fell in love with it instantly, Listen to it Daily. It is quirky and has a strong Indie / Pop feel about it, Very good to listen to while chilling out at home or during Public Transport, One of those albums I will always have on My Phone and I Will keep going back to for more.

I Highly Recommend this album

12. Post #2612
    roar
    January 2008
    13,171 Posts

Metronomy - The English Riviera

Rating: 9/10, A

Brilliant Album, Best songs being "The Bay" and "The Look"

Original Sound, Great Talent. I have only recently Discovered this Band but fell in love with it instantly, Listen to it Daily. It is quirky and has a strong Indie / Pop feel about it, Very good to listen to while chilling out at home or during Public Transport, One of those albums I will always have on My Phone and I Will keep going back to for more.

I Highly Recommend this album
    Randomly Capitalizing different words does Not make your text look more Intelligent.
    Also indie / pop are totally different things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

13. Post #2613
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,919 Posts
    Randomly Capitalizing different words does Not make your text look more Intelligent.
    I think he meant indie pop, which is a pretty good way of describing Metronomy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Australia Show Events

14. Post #2614
    roar
    January 2008
    13,171 Posts
    I think he meant indie pop, which is a pretty good way of describing Metronomy.
    The fuck is indie pop
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

15. Post #2615
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,919 Posts
    An enormous genre? Basically music from the indie scene that follows a pop structure and heavily relies on hooks and choruses, etc. Has roots in post-punk.

http://www.last.fm/tag/indie%20pop
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #2616
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts

Tycho - Dive

9/10

God tier, been playing it all week

Oasis - (What's the story) Morning Glory

8/10

Songs like Some Might Say and Don't Look Back In Anger, enough said

Whir - Distressor EP

9/10

Best shoegaze release of 2010. In the same level of greatness as My Bloody Valentine's Loveless. If you like shoegaze get this.

Com Truise - Galactic Melt

7/10

Not even sure what kind of music this is, but it's glitchy, synthesized and interesting and I dig it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

17. Post #2617
    meow
    Dennab
    February 2012
    3,083 Posts
    Gojira - Terra Incognita

One of those Death/Groove bands. Chock full of every convention of both of those genres and the mix itself. Energy building blast beats and tremelo picking throw you full pelt into the groove metal riffs that speak for themselves

7/10, nothing amazing, barrier breaking, or anything, but the musicianship in it is fucking awesome. Every aspect of the music works together really well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

18. Post #2618
    Sadboys2001
    June 2011
    1,049 Posts
    Christ, its just habit, Sorry I offended you. I Dont see why you had to slate me for it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #2619
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,535 Posts
    The fuck is indie pop
    the xx

Edited:

educate yourself

20. Post #2620
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,919 Posts
    the xx
    not the best example but yeah

21. Post #2621
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,535 Posts
    not the best example but yeah
    not a fan? :-(

Also , what Smiths did was technically indie pop.

22. Post #2622
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,919 Posts
    nah the xx are great, but i wouldn't say they are a defining indie pop band by any means. outside of the lead singles they are quite downtempo, verging on experimental

23. Post #2623
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,535 Posts
    verging on experimental?

Each track on that album is a pop tune with indie vibes I'd say. It's a great example of how simple a record can be yet be so hard hitting and smooth.

24. Post #2624
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,919 Posts
    well if their latest is anything to go by:

25. Post #2625
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,535 Posts
    cool, I haven't heard that.

Is still a demo and I reckon it will be a lot more polished seeing as how the first sounded.
    Maybe they'll try new things in the future, sure but their first record will be hard to beat.

Sophmore releases are always nervy for some bands.

26. Post #2626
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,700 Posts

9/10

very fucking good
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

27. Post #2627
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,535 Posts

9/10

very fucking good
    Had to look up what it was because you are a sod.

Chinese fusion hip hop?
    Not seen that.

28. Post #2628
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,700 Posts
    Had to look up what it was because you are a sod.

Chinese fusion hip hop?
    Not seen that.
    haha sorry I'm a little high

yeah it's really interesting, it's got a lot of eastern influence. I haven't heard any of his other stuff but this album is great

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #2629
    An airbag saved my life
    February 2007
    2,121 Posts
    I've heard good things about this album by Onra aswell strayebyrd, I haven't got round to listening to it myself:

Onra - Long Distance:

I'll have to check out the album you posted aswell I guess

Edited:

nah the xx are great, but i wouldn't say they are a defining indie pop band by any means. outside of the lead singles they are quite downtempo, verging on experimental
    I always think of Of Montreal when it comes to the poster-boy for Indie Pop.

30. Post #2630
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,535 Posts
    yeah that Onra album was cool, thanks.

31. Post #2631
    A Casual Businessman (or something even worse.)
    August 2009
    915 Posts

the mars volta - noctourniquet

very, very glorious album. it's feels unorthodox in the same way that amputechture did, which is by no means whatsoever a bad thing... stylistically it's a lot slower and it takes it time. similar in the way octahedron did except it's not nearly as boring in the time it takes to progress... it's also apparently a good concept album (like most of their discography) that i'm too lazy to meticulously dissect right now. it also has more significantly more usage of electronics and synths than previously explored in their discography. (with the exception ambuletz and copernicus, other small tracks on previous releases) but unlike bedlam, this and octahedron flew together much more well and actually seemed relatively strong altogether instead of bedlam constantly changing moods and overall feeling like a collection of tracks. this is a new alleyway for cedric and omar, only really neighbouring octahedron's...

4/5

Key Tracks Include: Dyslexicon, Trinkets Pale Of Moon, The Malkin Jewel, Empty Vessels Make The Loudest Sound, In Absentia

(for the weirdest reason the image resized to something such as the size of 2500x2500 when i posted it first time around, surprised the hell out of me)

32. Post #2632
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    11,205 Posts
    The fucking sounds in that album are crazy. The synths in the opening I wasn't ready for. In Absentia is probably my favorite on that album.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

33. Post #2633
    Mon
    April 2011
    4,102 Posts

Local H - Pack Up The Cats - 1998

Witty lyrics, catchy songs and great production values. Classic post-grunge. Give "All The Kids Are Right" a listen for a general idea of the album. A real classic, shame it went under the radar.
    9/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

34. Post #2634
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts

That's All Very Well But... - McCarthy - 1996

pretty much the greatest group and album to come out of the C86 era. sharp indie jangle mixed with inflammatory marxist rhetoric.

4 out of 5 indie pop bjorks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

35. Post #2635
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    i never understood why you guys write essays about albums
    you either like it or you dont you, or you can summarise why you liked in a couple of words

Edited:

eg the parts you liked best or were different
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

36. Post #2636
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,418 Posts
    Best Rosetta album imo.
    The Galilean Satellites is awesome too but if you thought Wake/Lift was a little long then you would probably find that album even harder to get through. A Determinism of Morality does nothing for me though, still might be worth checking out for you since its their shortest by far.
    ADOM is their most hardcore influenced. The speed is ramped up a lot. And the closing song is as wonderful as music can get.

Edited:

If you like instrumental music this is for you.
    Nothing stands out but nothing is boring either.

3.5/5

37. Post #2637
    March 2012
    1,145 Posts

The last album I listened to was 88 by Kashiwa Daisuke, which is one of my favorite albums. Just a very pretty and relaxing thing. I'd give it an 8.5/10 or so, if only because Swan Song and In The Lake drag a little.

If you're interested in listening, I'd recommend the song Quartz. It's short, pretty, and gives you a good feel for what the album sounds like.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #2638
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    6,770 Posts
    Onra - Long Distance:

AH
    THANK YOU

For whatever reason I have a desktop-sized version of the album cover in my desktops folder. I knew it was an album cover but I had no idea what.

As thanks for reminding me, here it is why not.

Edited:

The last album I listened to was 88 by Kashiwa Daisuke, which is one of my favorite albums. Just a very pretty and relaxing thing. I'd give it an 8.5/10 or so, if only because Swan Song and In The Lake drag a little.

If you're interested in listening, I'd recommend the song Quartz. It's short, pretty, and gives you a good feel for what the album sounds like.
    Swan Song doesn't seem to drag that much imo. Personal favourite from that album is Coto at the moment though.

Going on your like of Kashiwa Daisuke and the fact you don't have them in your Last.fm library, I'm going to recommend ...and Water Cycles by Motoro Faam. Very similar music I think.

I guess it's also the last album I listened to.

Edited:

too
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Greece Show Events

39. Post #2639
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,535 Posts
    i never understood why you guys write essays about albums
    you either like it or you dont you, or you can summarise why you liked in a couple of words

Edited:

eg the parts you liked best or were different
    You don't understand that people have a lot to say about their experience.

It can also influence people to listen to something rather than the "yep it's good".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #2640
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,919 Posts
    Exactly, while I agree that music is for the most part subjective, I don't see the problem with explaining which parts of a piece of music appeal to you and why, or what puts you off something.