1. Post #161
    July 2007
    336 Posts
    It hurts those around you, so that's why it's dumb to just off yourself if there's really ways around it. Usually the suicidal person doesn't realize that as clearly..

But if you literally have no friends no family no NOTHING not even freedom, you will probably destroy yourself. And it's not about selfishness.
    I do not doubt it effects those around you, but I can't see any reason besides the person having some sentience depending on it, or debts unpaid, to restrict suicide to someone by legislation.

2. Post #162
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,102 Posts
    This isn't really a post for the debate, but I just found it odd that this thread was made on the One Year Anniversary of my late friends death, who did commit suicide.

3. Post #163
    Fight for justice, fight for Manning and Snowden.
    April 2010
    2,597 Posts
    The person suiciding does have it hard, which usually related to bullying, or generally being sick. My grandfather suicided when my mom was 18, and he shot himself. But do I blame him for that? No I do not, because he was very sick, and he has every right to do what he want's to his own body. I am sure he knew that it would hurt his family, and yeah, it did. But people forgive, if they see a reason for it.

4. Post #164
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2009
    866 Posts
    That's bullshit and you know it. If you honestly can say that, you've never had to deal with shit that just destroys you mentally and/or physically. What if somebody feels like life is not worth living or maybe this somebody just does not see a point in it all. That's not an obstacle or a problem, that's just a person not wanting to live anymore. Sure, you can fuck the person up with heavy medication but unless you're really planning to keep the person drugged up and even restrained in a mental hospital, the person is still going to do it.
    There are things which might not seem that big or bad to you which can completely wreck somebody else, keep that in mind.
    There is always a way to fix the problem, no matter how long it may take. Why would you throw away the gift of life just because there is a temporary speed bump?

5. Post #165
    December 2010
    1,077 Posts
    Yes, it's a situation in which people need help. But, IT IS THEIR CHOICE. You can shout and whine all you fucking want, but it's their choice and that should never be anything BUT their choice. So what if it encourages it, people who want to will and people who don't won't, but you'll say you know well enough whether they should live?

You've never been depressed and you've never struggled with suicide. Personally, I'm glad I failed suicide each time I attempted it, but at the time, there was no fix and nothing got better. Things still haven't really gotten better, but I'm still here. Taking away that choice from people who want it is just demoralizing and stupid. You'll treat them like children doing that. People who are depressed enough to be in that mind set have their own choices to make. You don't get to make that choice for them.

It seems FP is full of "liberals"(i fucking hate using this term) who are fine and dandy with invasion of other peoples choices when that's the exact opposite of what it's meant to be about.
    Suicidal thoughts are brought on by overwhelming mental stress/anxiety which can mushroom into depression and feelings of hopelessness, and with intervention from others can be resolved, as with any medical condition.

I should also add that a depressed mind is an irrational and emotionally driven mind, with very little room for logic if any at all. Preventing a person from needlessly killing themselves due to temporary emotional distress is not "treating them like children" ...it's treating them like a human being, be that a child, adult or elder, humans don't not mind seeing their fellow specie die, whether it be due to accident, murder, disease, old age, or suicide.

You should really drop the whole suicide justification of "life's shit and ima off myself cuz im a big boy with choices to make i haz priorities qq".

If it's true that you've attempted suicide that is terrible and I hope you are never put in another situation where that seems like a good idea. There's life after depression, unfortunately there is not life after death, and I know such words don't matter to a hopeless depressed suicidal mind, which is why you need help. Being depressed and suicidal is like falling into a deep hole with no way out. People can pull you out of that hole man, and you can return to a beautiful life.

I think a suicidal person needs help just as much as someone suffering from a broken bone or disease, as it is a physical, treatable medical condition.

6. Post #166
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,724 Posts
    It's an alternative away from everything for me. I've definitely considered doing it and I've almost done it.

7. Post #167
    July 2010
    5,270 Posts
    It's selfish and doesn't consider the people in relation to the victim. Not only that, but people who have great potential end up doing it over small things such as bullying in school, so it's cowardly as well.

If you're thinking suicide thoughts I won't think down on you, but you'll still need help anyways. It's such a stupid thing.

8. Post #168
    December 2010
    1,077 Posts
    There is always a way to fix the problem, no matter how long it may take. Why would you throw away the gift of life just because there is a temporary speed bump?
    mental illness brought on by extreme anxiety and emotionally overwhelming circumstances.

It cannot be fully understood unless one experiences it themselves.

Edited:

people who have great potential end up doing it over small things such as bullying in school.
    This is a truly disturbing trend and I couldn't imagine what could drive children to actually commit suicide over social issues. I blame horrible parenting.

9. Post #169
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    It's selfish and doesn't consider the people in relation to the victim. Not only that, but people who have great potential end up doing it over small things such as bullying in school, so it's cowardly as well.

If you're thinking suicide thoughts I won't think down on you, but you'll still need help anyways. It's such a stupid thing.
    Eh.. ok.

10. Post #170
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2009
    866 Posts
    Great response.

11. Post #171
    July 2007
    336 Posts
    I don't see why you would call life a 'gift', because obviously life is not enjoyable for a lot of animals and humans who are experiencing it.

But anyways suicide has a function, it removes discomfort and existence, which some people would prefer over there current conditions, which may be long term or short term, doesn't really matter.

Yes suicide can harm people who have a relationship with you, and trust me, the person who is committing suicide probably knows this and considered it thoroughly. But I can't see any real reason to hold this person by legislation against committing suicide for making a few family members sad for a few months or so.

So if someone was not connected to anyone else, (anti-social lives in the mountains), you would be okay with that suicide?

Whether it is cowardly or not should be irrelevant.

12. Post #172
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2009
    866 Posts

Yes suicide can harm people who have a relationship with you, and trust me, the person who is committing suicide probably knows this and considered it thoroughly. But I can't see any real reason to hold this person by legislation against committing suicide for making a few family members sad for a few months or so.

So if someone was not connected to anyone else, (anti-social lives in the mountains), you would be okay with that suicide?

Whether it is cowardly or not should be irrelevant.
    Can you please fix your post, I didn't say that.

13. Post #173
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,040 Posts
    Most people commit suicide over Gmod 13 nowadays :(

14. Post #174
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    6,447 Posts
    I have since the age of 12, openly spoken with my parents about concidering suicide, and for the past year or so I've directly stated that I was only waiting for their permission for suicide.

I feel nothing interresting in life, and I find myself constantly thinking and overanalysing everyone's actions in vaine hope that it's not me who's different.

I'd love it to be legal.
    My entire life's been a countdown, I'd like it to end before I do it "by accident" and forget about friends and family.

15. Post #175
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    4,032 Posts
    I've contemplated it a few times, it seems everything is always getting worse for me. My grades are failing, my parents just want to put me on ADHD meds and hope that will help.

They haven't before and I dought they will.

My parents also take away my solace from these pains, videogames and anything I find enjoyable. That stupid firewall makes learning about the Great War ten times harder.

My goal in life is to be a WWI Archeologist. How am I supposed to teach myself things if 80% of the really useful websites on specific weapons and whatnot are blocked? I'm 15 not 9...

That only makes my situation worse... And makes me feel even worse.

16. Post #176
    Killed postal with a fart once.
    December 2007
    8,133 Posts
    I've contemplated it a few times, it seems everything is always getting worse for me. My grades are failing, my parents just want to put me on ADHD meds and hope that will help.

They haven't before and I dought they will.

My parents also take away my solace from these pains, videogames and anything I find enjoyable. That stupid firewall makes learning about the Great War ten times harder.

My goal in life is to be a WWI Archeologist. How am I supposed to teach myself things if 80% of the really useful websites on specific weapons and whatnot are blocked? I'm 15 not 9...

That only makes my situation worse... And makes me feel even worse.
    Just remind yourself of what's important in life, and what you'll be missing out on.

Edited:

Suicide should be legal, and laws banning it are dumb. I mean hell, if you're dead what are they going to do?

17. Post #177
    Strange Member
    June 2005
    4,830 Posts
    Suicide laws are unspeakably dumb. Whether suicide is "legal" or not is not gonna change any outcome, no matter how strict those "laws" are. I don't think suicide is neither right nor wrong, it's just something that depends on the person. Since it's very doubtful that any kind of heaven or hell exists, nothing else will happen after your suicide. You'll just get an infinite blank nothingness.

Yeah, suicide will cause a ripple effect and mentally rip apart many relatives, but eventually they're gonna die too, and they're gonna enter that blank nothingness just like the person they were grieving for, without any ability to think or remember. As if the "suicider" never existed to begin with.

18. Post #178
    August 2008
    596 Posts
    Suicide is the easiest escape from all your problems, commiting a suicide is the biggest sign of weakness.

From a christian point of view, you don't own your life, God gave it to you so you can manage it for him, and how you manage it will determinate your faith. You were given the luxury of a life, not the right.

19. Post #179
    September 2007
    3,255 Posts
    I think that rights of your own body should extend to ending it, you are a massive pussy if you do it but who am I to judge?

20. Post #180
    Strange Member
    June 2005
    4,830 Posts
    Suicide is the easiest escape from all your problems, commiting a suicide is the biggest sign of weakness.
    zakedodead posted:
    I think that rights of your own body should extend to ending it, you are a massive pussy if you do it but who am I to judge?
    You don't seem to know what extreme chronic depression is like.

21. Post #181
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    4,032 Posts
    From a christian point of view, you don't own your life, God gave it to you You were given the luxury of a life, not the right.
    My parents gave it to me actually. Pretty sure I had no say in that part.

It's MY life, no being, weather debate-ably fictional, or real has control over it.

22. Post #182
    March 2012
    1,001 Posts
    Its silly that people are banning other people what to do with their life, if I want to die I should have the option and right to do it because its my body, my mind and my life. I don't support government funded things like they have in... was it Switzerland? Mainly because I wouldn't want to waste my tax money on somebody wanting to die but I do support them if they are privately funded (Might be a good business to get into actually, a person willing to die is willing to spend more)

Silly governments telling people they cant do something with their own life. As long as it does not harm anyone else, why not?

23. Post #183
    September 2007
    3,255 Posts
    You don't seem to know what extreme chronic depression is like.
    Hence the who am I to judge part.

24. Post #184
    February 2008
    146 Posts
    Silly governments telling people they cant do something with their own life. As long as it does not harm anyone else, why not?
    That's the problem, there is rarely a case were it would not adversely affect another individual in some way; there are just far to many sides to the coin to give a definitive yes or no.

25. Post #185
    March 2012
    1,001 Posts
    That's the problem, there is rarely a case were it would not adversely affect another individual in some way; there are just far to many sides to the coin to give a definitive yes or no.
    Affect another individual, yes, usually it does, as in sadness and grief. But I said harm, as in physical harm such as violence or death.

26. Post #186
    February 2008
    146 Posts
    Well I could argue that it could still indirectly cause someone to suffer physical harm at the hands of another individual who blames them for it, but that's beside the point.

Mental trauma can be just harmful as physical trauma in the long run;.
    But I could agree that if someone wished to end their life, as long as they organizes and get the approvals of people affected (I can see that would be hard to achieve, but people need to really think hard when asked), then yes, to end suffering I could see it as a means.

27. Post #187
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,703 Posts
    Telling a depressed potentially suicidal person that he would be very selfish and rude to ever consider such a thing is such a wonderful thing to say to someone. Especially when he believes that the feelings of others outweigh his own. So the person would never even attempt bodily harm to himself as he doesn't want to hurt the people he holds dear to his heart. The only thing left is a miserable person being trapped in a box of depressive thoughts with no end in sight, thinking of themselves as someone who died emotionally a long time ago but just waiting for the body to catch up.

Of course I have escapism so everything is fine and dandy.

28. Post #188
    July 2009
    2,097 Posts
    I don't know, but if it ever is illegal and I decide to do it, they'll never catch me alive!

29. Post #189
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,040 Posts
    I blame trolls and bullies for why people commit suicide.

30. Post #190
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    17,111 Posts
    I believe only a few of suicide situations are because of somebody being mean.

31. Post #191
    July 2010
    5,270 Posts
    Not always. One of my uncles commited suicide because of major financial difficulties (lots of debt). It was easier for him to just kill himself than keep on living (not that I'm saying he made the right choice).

32. Post #192
    Official Bro of DD

June 2010
    13,642 Posts
    And sometimes people just can't be bothered anymore, there may just not be anything they look forwards too and feel as if they have lived enough. It can also be selfish for people not to want them to kill themself because otherwise they feel bad, when in reality it is the persons own decision to kill themself.