1. Post #41
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2006
    6,660 Posts
    Don't forget to properly inflate your tires.
    i know this is probably a weird snipe at a thing that Obama said a million years ago but proper tire inflation actually does increase the fuel efficiency of a car to a noteworthy degree.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #42
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    2,854 Posts
    lol you think your gas prices are expensive in America. We pay 2.3$ pr. litre here in Denmark!

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    8,065 Posts
    why not?
    Because the -actual- cost is also affected by what vehicle you're driving and how far you go. As said earlier, everything is much more spread out in the USA, so people have to drive a lot more. Remember, Texas alone covers the majority of Europe's landmass. So yeah, our fuel may be cheaper, but we use more of it so it helps balance out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,308 Posts
    There ARE alternatives, but there seems to be an issue with Americans utilizing them. Notice how many people in other countries use public transportation, scooters, bicycles, etc. compared to how many Americans do. The fact is that most Americans want to drive vehicles everywhere and bitch about gas prices at the same time.
    While I agree with scooters and bicycles (except for a lot of the time in the winter season), public transportation isn't really an option in most cases. That tends to be a feature of larger cities. And if you live in a rural area, where fuel tends to be more expensive anyway, you pretty much need a car when the nearest town is 5+ miles away.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

5. Post #45
    ~~so trendy~~
    June 2010
    2,559 Posts
    I go through a tank of gas a week. I have a 17 gallon tank. I get 14MPG. I only drive to and from school. They do not offer transportation to my house to and from school. I only take premium. My life is expensive.

6. Post #46
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    474 Posts
    I go through a tank of gas a week. I have a 17 gallon tank. I get 14MPG. I only drive to and from school. They do not offer transportation to my house to and from school. I only take premium. My life is expensive.
    14mpg? Gee what are you driving a Veyron?

7. Post #47
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    2,627 Posts
    I think it's around $3.50 around here now, I wouldn't be surprised to see it hit $4.00 easily.

My wallet will probably shit itself though.

8. Post #48
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    474 Posts
    Because the -actual- cost is also affected by what vehicle you're driving and how far you go. As said earlier, everything is much more spread out in the USA, so people have to drive a lot more. Remember, Texas alone covers the majority of Europe's landmass. So yeah, our fuel may be cheaper, but we use more of it so it helps balance out.
    Not as much as you'd think, looking at annual mileage averages for US drivers and for example my country (Italy) we do about the same number of miles per year.

You pay 4$ per gallon, we pay 10.

It's a bit like Steam (random example) you may pay 50$ for a game we pay 50 euros.

9. Post #49
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,308 Posts
    Not as much as you'd think, looking at annual mileage averages for US drivers and for example my country (Italy) we do about the same number of miles per year.

You pay 4$ per gallon, we pay 10.
    But what kind of vehicles do you guys drive? We may use more fuel to go the same distance.

Either way, ours are definitely cheaper, since we do have access to local oil sources.

10. Post #50

October 2011
    361 Posts
    Ride a bicycle, get a more fuel efficient car, car pool, or walk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #51
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    474 Posts
    But what kind of vehicles do you guys drive? We may use more fuel to go the same distance.

Either way, ours are definitely cheaper, since we do have access to local oil sources.
    We do use more fuel efficient cars but in the US you (I'm guessing here) have more straights and drive more on highways.

You have to consider the salary too though we get on average probably a bit more than half of what you get in the US.

Probably all in all it won't be 4$ vs 10$ but more like 4$ vs 6/7$ if you count in all the driving behaviors, roads and vehicles.

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    1,653 Posts
    i know this is probably a weird snipe at a thing that Obama said a million years ago but proper tire inflation actually does increase the fuel efficiency of a car to a noteworthy degree.
    It also helps to inflate with nitrogen instead of regular air. Several tire places around here fill with nitrogen for free, and it's a noticeable difference.

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    2,711 Posts
    No, several federal agencies told the people responsible that the pipeline was such a clusterfuck it would take a year or more to review, and barring their plans changing, it'll be in review limbo for a minimum of a year.

You are being sarcastic, right?
    Technically the worst case is that a lot of crops get destroyed, half of the states the pipeline would run through dont even have that dense of a population. Like Oklahoma, pretty much just farms. Also people act like these pipes are made of paper or some shit and could spill at any time, but its made of steel, and even if it did leak there would be valves placed every so often that could just be turned and boom off goes the supply.

Edited:

In the United States its sometimes just impossible to walk, or ride bikes unless you live in a city as most of America is rural and your school, where you shop could be 5-10 miles away. You could car pool but than you have to find people willing and that could be hard. And as for buying a more efficient car, thats a nice idea, but who has the money to drop on a new car that gets the 25+ MPG.

Edited:

lol you think your gas prices are expensive in America. We pay 2.3$ pr. litre here in Denmark!
    Jesus, it would cost over 9$ a gallon.

14. Post #54

October 2011
    361 Posts
    In the United States its sometimes just impossible to walk, or ride bikes unless you live in a city as most of America is rural and your school, where you shop could be 5-10 miles away. You could car pool but than you have to find people willing and that could be hard. And as for buying a more efficient car, thats a nice idea, but who has the money to drop on a new car that gets the 25+ MPG.
    No, it's not really impossible. It's more like most Americans prefer the convenience of driving themselves everywhere. Riding a bicycle 5-10 miles isn't difficult at all. Car pooling isn't always possible, but if you have a friend/co-worker who goes to the same school/works at the same place as you then you might as well do it. You don't have to buy a new car to get 25+ MPG. There are plenty of used cars that cost >$5,000 and average 25+ MPG. The problem is that people are buying trucks/SUVs, etc. when they really don't need one, and these people end up being the same people who complain about gas prices.

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    2,711 Posts
    So you want to wake up an hour early to walk the 5 miles to school than depending on the time of year, frozen to hell or sweaty as hell before even getting to school, or if walking to the store, have fun carrying bags of groceries home. You will get in shape sure, but its a rather huge inconvenience. Yea you can do it but is it worth saving money to walk over 10 miles a day. And yes car pooling is a very viable option if people in your area are nice, and are going to the store that day. Its all about schedule too,if you need to go to the store at that very moment or need to go somewhere for a meeting, your reliant upon someone in your area who is also heading out in that general direction. Most of the cars that are under 5k either have a lot of miles on them or are really old, which brings the point of oh I might have to spend 4k on a new engine, or spend money monthly on parts to keep it running. I was thinking of more 2009+ cars since those where the models starting to reach 30+ MPG regularly.

16. Post #56
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,218 Posts
    Texas also isn't that populated compared to the rest of the US

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    2,711 Posts
    Texas also isn't that populated compared to the rest of the US
    Texas has a population of 25 million and is rank #2 by population in the country. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

18. Post #58
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,308 Posts
    No, it's not really impossible. It's more like most Americans prefer the convenience of driving themselves everywhere. Riding a bicycle 5-10 miles isn't difficult at all. Car pooling isn't always possible, but if you have a friend/co-worker who goes to the same school/works at the same place as you then you might as well do it. You don't have to buy a new car to get 25+ MPG. There are plenty of used cars that cost >$5,000 and average 25+ MPG. The problem is that people are buying trucks/SUVs, etc. when they really don't need one, and these people end up being the same people who complain about gas prices.
    Its not difficult, as much as time consuming. And in rural areas, you still need a car. Sometimes you have to drive 40+ miles to a city to get or do something that isn't possible in a nearby town. Granted, that's not an everyday thing. And that's where buying a fuel efficient car comes in.

19. Post #59
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    14,121 Posts
    So you want to wake up an hour early to walk the 5 miles to school than depending on the time of year, frozen to hell or sweaty as hell before even getting to school, or if walking to the store, have fun carrying bags of groceries home. You will get in shape sure, but its a rather huge inconvenience. Yea you can do it but is it worth saving money to walk over 10 miles a day. And yes car pooling is a very viable option if people in your area are nice, and are going to the store that day. Its all about schedule too,if you need to go to the store at that very moment or need to go somewhere for a meeting, your reliant upon someone in your area who is also heading out in that general direction. Most of the cars that are under 5k either have a lot of miles on them or are really old, which brings the point of oh I might have to spend 4k on a new engine, or spend money monthly on parts to keep it running. I was thinking of more 2009+ cars since those where the models starting to reach 30+ MPG regularly.
    It was a thirty minutes drive every morning for me when I was in school. Trying to bike? It would be absolutely impossible.

20. Post #60
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    474 Posts
    Texas has a population of 25 million and is rank #2 by population in the country. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population
    I think he was talking about density not the amount of people per se.

21. Post #61
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    2,711 Posts
    Texas population density

And that picture might be off as its 2000, and the population has increased 5 million since than.
    Most of the population of texas resides in the cities of Houston, San Antonio, and Dallas. Although you can see the left half of Texas is mostly 1 person per square mile. Meaning those people have to drive very far to get to a city.

Edited:

It was a thirty minutes drive every morning for me when I was in school. Trying to bike? It would be absolutely impossible.
    My school is 7 miles away but I also go to a extended school that is 20 miles away from my house, I could not bike or walk that and be on time. I would have to leave at like 3-4 in the morning, but than I would be exhausted.

22. Post #62
    August 2010
    1,241 Posts
    Buy a different car, how the hell can you put up with 14mpg? My car does 45!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #63
    ~~so trendy~~
    June 2010
    2,559 Posts
    14mpg? Gee what are you driving a Veyron?
    1991 Mercedes-Benz 300CE

I can't ride a bike. I drive 15 miles to get to school. I then drive 5 miles to get to my next class. I have 10 minutes to get there from the time I leave my home school. I then drive home, which is now 20 miles back. I can't afford a newer, fuel efficient car. I can't car pool. I'm the only one who lives where I do. I can't walk 40 miles.

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,108 Posts
    True, I live in a suburban environment and I see sidewalks just start and end out of nowhere

it makes it pretty much impossible to bike around

25. Post #65
    As a wise man once said: Never ask Fatfatfatty for computer advice
    Dennab
    March 2009
    13,456 Posts
    Well, I can see positive things coming from this

Higher gas prices = Less people going by their car everywhere = Less pollution

26. Post #66
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    4,522 Posts
    There ARE alternatives, but there seems to be an issue with Americans utilizing them. Notice how many people in other countries use public transportation, scooters, bicycles, etc. compared to how many Americans do. The fact is that most Americans want to drive vehicles everywhere and bitch about gas prices at the same time.
    Public transportation is very lacking in most American states; buses are primarily in the cities only, or for state to state travel. Since everything is spread out so much, it'd take me at least an hour and thirty minutes just to reach my college which is a 15 minute drive away - riding a bike on US-19, which has no sidewalks in some areas, before sunrise, in a state full of old people driving land yacht Cadillacs.

Edited:

Its not difficult, as much as time consuming. And in rural areas, you still need a car. Sometimes you have to drive 40+ miles to a city to get or do something that isn't possible in a nearby town. Granted, that's not an everyday thing. And that's where buying a fuel efficient car comes in.
    Unfortunately, most fuel efficient cars are either death traps (Geo Metro, Honda CR-X HF), or way out of price range of someone that would need the fuel efficiency (hybrids, newer cars with more efficient engines).

27. Post #67

February 2012
    101 Posts
    Any American who is pro-pipeline keystone needs to be thrown into a tar pond in Alberta.

Edited:

Public transportation is very lacking in most American states; buses are primarily in the cities only, or for state to state travel. Since everything is spread out so much, it'd take me at least an hour and thirty minutes just to reach my college which is a 15 minute drive away - riding a bike on US-19, which has no sidewalks in some areas, before sunrise, in a state full of old people driving land yacht Cadillacs.

Edited:

Unfortunately, most fuel efficient cars are either death traps (Geo Metro, Honda CR-X HF), or way out of price range of someone that would need the fuel efficiency (hybrids, newer cars with more efficient engines).
    You're not supposed to ride bikes on the sidewalk law breaking citizen!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #68
    October 2008
    2,037 Posts
    Its mainly because we do a lot more driving (because there is no alternative), and we obviously have a higher amount of fuel hungry vehicles. If you drive a gas guzzling SUV everyday for work that barely makes 18 MPG that has a 25 gallon tank, your really going to take a hit. You guys still pay more even after that fact most likely, but the gap is narrowed.
    I'd kill for my car to get 18 MPG, right now its sitting at about 10 MPG. :(

It's a worthy sacrifice though.

29. Post #69
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,308 Posts
    Any American who is pro-pipeline keystone needs to be thrown into a tar pond in Alberta.

Edited:

You're not supposed to ride bikes on the sidewalk law breaking citizen!
    This is very much correct. Which is ironic, considering in many areas, its extremely unsafe to bike in the street, due to people driving excess of 40 MPH and your not given much space. I would feel safer biking on the highway. Even though people go 65+, you at least have a shoulder.

30. Post #70
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,075 Posts
    Technically the worst case is that a lot of crops get destroyed, half of the states the pipeline would run through dont even have that dense of a population. Like Oklahoma, pretty much just farms. Also people act like these pipes are made of paper or some shit and could spill at any time, but its made of steel, and even if it did leak there would be valves placed every so often that could just be turned and boom off goes the supply.
    A) Did you actually read the paper?
    B) Do you have even a faint knowledge of materials science?
    C) Can you present a rebuttal to the paper based on the above?

I'm pretty willing to bet your answer to all three is "no", which means you probably shouldn't opine.

31. Post #71
    MEGA SENPAI KAWAII UGUU~~ =^_^=
    September 2008
    14,608 Posts
    Oklahoma, pretty much just farms
    Yes, and Wisconsin is pretty much just cheese.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

32. Post #72
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    14,121 Posts
    Yes, and Wisconsin is pretty much just cheese.
    Ever since Sheogorath bought a home there anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #73
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,177 Posts
    I am really glad I just bought a little Saturn that gets 40 mpg on the highway. Driving my 5.2L 4bbl Chrysler every day was murder, I was getting 12 mpg and burning $40 a week just going to work.

34. Post #74

November 2010
    510 Posts
    Why would you ever buy premium gas, it serves almost no purpose at this point. Unless you're fueling something that actually needs the higher octane value (Like an actual racecar, or something with significant amounts of horsepower like a Koenigsegg Agera), there is literally no point. You even can run Porsches and other similar specced cars on regular gas just fine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #75

February 2012
    101 Posts
    This is very much correct. Which is ironic, considering in many areas, its extremely unsafe to bike in the street, due to people driving excess of 40 MPH and your not given much space. I would feel safer biking on the highway. Even though people go 65+, you at least have a shoulder.
    Arent there bike lanes in the US? Most highways here do.

36. Post #76
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,308 Posts
    If there are, they don't exist around here. The sidewalks and shoulders are your bike lanes.

37. Post #77

November 2010
    510 Posts
    In suburban areas, yes, but inside our ancient cities you only have the sidewalk option (unless you're crazy and actually want to share the road).

38. Post #78

February 2012
    101 Posts
    In suburban areas, yes, but inside our ancient cities you only have the sidewalk option (unless you're crazy and actually want to share the road).
    Crazy? How is sharing the road as a biker crazy.

39. Post #79

November 2010
    510 Posts
    Crazy? How is sharing the road as a biker crazy.
    I tried using the road once, I almost got hit in the back of the head by a Van's mirror who was going 50mph on a 40.

That's why.

40. Post #80

February 2012
    101 Posts
    I tried using the road once, I almost got hit in the back of the head by a Van's mirror who was going 50mph on a 40.

That's why.
    Wrong side of the road.