1. Post #1
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,495 Posts
    The Problem: I can't start my server. Every time I try (assuming -debug is used), the following error is spewed:

Code:
    BFD: Warning: /opt/srcds/sandbox1/orangebox/core is truncated: expected core file size >= 45576192, found: 16920576.
    The Linux Info:
    Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    2.1 GB free (a.k.a. not a drive space issue)

The Attempts (a.k.a. what DIDN'T work):
    - Installing ia32-libs and the like. The packages do not exist in my repository (probably because I'm running 32-bit)
    - Deleting the file and trying again. srcds redownloaded it but it was still truncated
    - Running the update tool with -verify_all (redownloads a bunch of things but does not fix the problem)
    - Running "-command update" with various -game parameters ("garrysmod", "tf", etc)

Anyone have any idea?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    October 2008
    14,495 Posts
    oh hey there's more errors than I thought. Oops.

Code:
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    BFD: Warning: /opt/srcds/sandbox1/orangebox/core is truncated: expected core file size >= 45576192, found: 16920576.
    Cannot access memory at address 0xb77c98e4
    Cannot access memory at address 0xbf9370fc
    /opt/srcds/sandbox1/orangebox/debug.cmds:4: Error in sourced command file:
    Cannot access memory at address 0xb77c98e4

3. Post #3
    October 2008
    14,495 Posts
    New development

after deleting everything related to my server and starting over, the server STILL won't start...as a Garry's Mod server.

With the same files, if I start a TF2 server it runs fine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    September 2010
    91 Posts
    im having an issue involving the segmentation fault. but when i fix that i get another error that makes the server lan only. rather anoying XD. hope you get a good fix it may help me

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    821 Posts
    I'm stuck with the same problem, gdb isn't really helpful either because of the broken core file

6. Post #6
    Ah... tits!
    August 2009
    4,304 Posts
    Linux doesn't work properly with garrysmod servers, it's better not to bother as your server will constantly be outdated. I'd suggest using wine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

7. Post #7
    June 2011
    80 Posts
    I use debian and have it running now, ubuntu's based off of debian so I can sorta help, Check this post for experiencing segmentation faults. http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1148247 - Files in that post work to fix the segmentation faults. Anyways if you're starting fresh from Ubuntu/Debian make sure you run
    Code:
    apt-get install build-essential
    that should give you gcc and whatever else you might need. Then go and try to download srcds and all the required game server files. Then you will need to manually install the files in the link I posted and your server "should" work. No Promises though.

Note: If you're running 64-bit you need to install ia32-libs instead of build-essential.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    177 Posts
    Linux doesn't work properly with garrysmod servers, it's better not to bother as your server will constantly be outdated. I'd suggest using wine.
    Then why the hell would you run Linux at all? The Linux servers are always up to date...

The problem is garry forgot a few of the .so libraries in the linux version. Download:
    http://jetsurf.breakpointservers.com/lin_mac_bins.rar

and copy the contents to /serverdir/orangebox/bin and try starting your server then

If you feel safer downloading "Garry's official" ones, here is another link
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3590255/Temp/linux-131.zip

Hope that helps

9. Post #9
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,579 Posts
    do you know what you're talking about?

10. Post #10
    October 2008
    14,495 Posts
    I use debian and have it running now, ubuntu's based off of debian so I can sorta help, Check this post for experiencing segmentation faults. http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1148247 - Files in that post work to fix the segmentation faults. Anyways if you're starting fresh from Ubuntu/Debian make sure you run
    Code:
    apt-get install build-essential
    that should give you gcc and whatever else you might need. Then go and try to download srcds and all the required game server files. Then you will need to manually install the files in the link I posted and your server "should" work. No Promises though.

Note: If you're running 64-bit you need to install ia32-libs instead of build-essential.
    Then why the hell would you run Linux at all? The Linux servers are always up to date...

The problem is garry forgot a few of the .so libraries in the linux version. Download:
    http://jetsurf.breakpointservers.com/lin_mac_bins.rar

and copy the contents to /serverdir/orangebox/bin and try starting your server then

If you feel safer downloading "Garry's official" ones, here is another link
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3590255/Temp/linux-131.zip

Hope that helps
    FUCKING BINGO, that fixed it! Thanks!

"Ferraris don't drive very well, it's better not to bother as your car will constantly be outclassed. I'd suggest writing 'Honda' on a piece of cardboard and taping it to your hood."

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    177 Posts
    FUCKING BINGO, that fixed it! Thanks!

"Ferraris don't drive very well, it's better not to bother as your car will constantly be outclassed. I'd suggest writing 'Honda' on a piece of cardboard and taping it to your hood."
    No problem, drove me a bit crazy for a while as well