1. Post #2641
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,452 Posts

Aww year, Overkill
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

2. Post #2642
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    2,291 Posts
    wow that's some strong Maiden and Priest influences there. I'm mostly familiar with I guess what you can only call classic Overkill, but it is always interesting to hear a band's demos.

By the way, I don't know about you lot but I've always wondered why Anthrax were elevated to Big 4 status when tbh they don't have as many good albums as Overkill or Exodus. I quite like Anthrax by all means, but really only Among The LIving has that kind of "classic" status, wheras Overkill have at least two or three albums you could call classic thrash albums.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #2643
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,452 Posts
    I think the whole "big four" thing is stupid to be honest
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

4. Post #2644
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    2,291 Posts
    agreed, but given the reception to it at festivals and things you can't deny it shifts tickets.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #2645
    January 2012
    339 Posts
    I think the whole "big four" thing is stupid to be honest
    People just seem to forget that the big 4 refer to the most inluential thrash figures, not the best or most innovative.

6. Post #2646
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    5,167 Posts
    I don't get what you're trying to say lol.

Although on the subject of depressive metal who likes Depressive Black Metal? I admit it does sound a bit fey but it's often good stuff to listen to. Quite like Bethlehem myself.
    Use to listen to it, but don't really listen to much now other Xasthur.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

7. Post #2647
    Please waste more of your money changing this title again.
    August 2005
    6,784 Posts
    although on the same kind of subject I wish more funeral doom metal bands would break from the whole "my dying bride but really slow" formula. I like MDB, but tbh I prefer stuff more like what I like to call the finnish template of funeral doom a la Skepticism and Thergothon. That's less of a "waaa I'll moan about this on the internet" thing and more of a personal preference.
    I've noticed a lot of Funeral Doom bands don't play anything much like Skepticism, which saddens me because I really like Skepticism.

I've gotten to the point I don't really bother looking for funeral doom any more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

8. Post #2648
    r. panda is a racist and ibuwebu is mai waifu
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    tbh this might just be because I used to read metal hammer and most of the metalheads I know hail it as "saving metal" which as you might imagine gets a bit grating after a while since A: Metal is fine, arguably stronger in terms of quality (although this is totally subjective) than it has been in the last 10 years and B: if it did need saving then playing thrash like it's 1984 would be an indicator of stagnation rather than of progress.

tl:dr I get annoyed at things I really shouldn't bother with.

E:
    although on the same kind of subject I wish more funeral doom metal bands would break from the whole "my dying bride but really slow" formula. I like MDB, but tbh I prefer stuff more like what I like to call the finnish template of funeral doom a la Skepticism and Thergothon. That's less of a "waaa I'll moan about this on the internet" thing and more of a personal preference.
    don't read metal magazines lol there's all you need to know. record labels basically pay them to say that

Edited:

wow that's some strong Maiden and Priest influences there. I'm mostly familiar with I guess what you can only call classic Overkill, but it is always interesting to hear a band's demos.

By the way, I don't know about you lot but I've always wondered why Anthrax were elevated to Big 4 status when tbh they don't have as many good albums as Overkill or Exodus. I quite like Anthrax by all means, but really only Among The LIving has that kind of "classic" status, wheras Overkill have at least two or three albums you could call classic thrash albums.
    because among the living is better than anything exodus ever did.
    exodus made two good albums, anthrax made one amazing one and two good albums
    Overkill made one great album, one good one, a bunch of kinda shitty ones, one amazing one, more garbage, then recently started making good ones again. They're too hit or miss.

Anthrax made it BIGGGGGGGGGGGGG in the late 80s with Among and their crossover stuff into rap in 1990/1991

Edited:

tl;dr anthrax was more consistent in the 80s and remained relevant in the early 90s
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #2649
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    7,797 Posts

'nuff said
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #2650
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    people like those albums a lot
    don't ask me why

Edited:

I'm just saying they were big after Among

11. Post #2651
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,736 Posts
    Infuckingcredible.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

12. Post #2652
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,938 Posts
    So, I never really liked extreme metal (aside from thrash, but I don't really consider that extreme) before now, but I'm starting to get into it after listening to a lot of prog rock/metal stuff.

Any suggestions of bands similar to Katatonia or Bloodbath?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #2653
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    5,665 Posts
    linkin park
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #2654
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    limp bizkit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #2655
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    7,797 Posts
    SLIPKNOT

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #2656
    August 2005
    6,784 Posts
    So, I never really liked extreme metal (aside from thrash, but I don't really consider that extreme) before now, but I'm starting to get into it after listening to a lot of prog rock/metal stuff.

Any suggestions of bands similar to Katatonia or Bloodbath?
    What era Katatonia?

Probably not early Katatonia, since you said you don't much care for extreme metal.

If you want Viva Emptiness-era Katatonia, then you may want to look into nu metal, because, sorry to say, Viva Emptiness-era Katatonia have heavy nu-metal tendencies, with Gothic influences. You may want to check out Paradise Lost's Symbol of Life and Paradise Lost albums. They're more rock than metal, but they have those same Gothic vibes Katatonia have, and have a few parts that are nu-metal influenced.

If you want new, Night is the New Day-era Katatonia, then I suggest Paradise Lost's Faith Divides Us Death Unites Us. It really is a spiritual sister album to Night is the New Day - and consequently I don't much care for either of them.

Don't know anything about Bloodbath, sorry.

Some songs to check.

Paradise Lost - Symbol of Life - Symbol of Life

Paradise Lost - Redshift - Paradise Lost

Paradise Lost - In Truth - Faith Divides Us Death Unites Us

17. Post #2657
    PIRATE METAL BASTARD
    October 2009
    7,521 Posts

That cello mang
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #2658
    June 2010
    3,622 Posts
    Yeah that orchestral part fucking kills

19. Post #2659
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,736 Posts

There drummer was a smoking hot chick a few months ago, that is no longer.

These guys are going to be huge in a couple of years, there opening for big bands. They'll be at metal fest 2012 this year.

20. Post #2660
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,703 Posts

big chocolate (left) is the best death metal vocalist
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Professional x64 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #2661
    August 2005
    6,784 Posts

It's obvious that the Disfiguring the Goddess vocalist isn't try to say anything other than "Bree bree bree bree bree bree," but I can't tell if the I Declare War vocalist is trying to say anything.

I have to admit, they do have really fleshed out gutteral sounds, but I can't understand what they're saying, if anything.

Though I can't help but giggle every time the DtG vocalist goes "bree bree bree bree bree bree," mostly because he waves his arm like a penguin every time he does.

22. Post #2662
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,703 Posts
    Don't think he's got any words going there but his DtG albums have vocals

Also the DtG is on the left haha, they switched names and bands when they introduced for some reason lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Professional x64 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #2663
    July 2009
    2,023 Posts
    big chocolate (left) is the best death metal vocalist
    "death metal"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #2664
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    7,797 Posts
    All I heard was two stone slabs grinding against each other.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

25. Post #2665
    August 2005
    6,784 Posts
    All I heard was two stone slabs grinding against each other.

I think that was the point.

26. Post #2666
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    2,666 Posts
    Fucking hell. Aborted - Global Flatline is a killer!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #2667
    July 2009
    2,023 Posts
    i have to listen to that some time

28. Post #2668
    August 2010
    865 Posts
    any dillinger fans?

woo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

29. Post #2669
    PIRATE METAL BASTARD
    October 2009
    7,521 Posts
    Seeing them supporting Mastodon.

30. Post #2670
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,736 Posts
    Give this a listen.

31. Post #2671
    July 2009
    2,023 Posts
    Seeing them supporting Mastodon.
    lucky fucker

they're the most energetic live act out there
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

32. Post #2672
    PIRATE METAL BASTARD
    October 2009
    7,521 Posts
    lucky fucker

I told my mate there wouldn't be any pits to make him come.

Whoops.

33. Post #2673
    August 2010
    865 Posts
    this is a better live show and it's very recent, and I got to see it on a live stream.

the crowd interaction is huge which is one of my favorite things about them. most bands would never do anything like that.

34. Post #2674
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    5,665 Posts
    lucky fucker

that was dumb
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #2675
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    4,604 Posts
    Yeah i'd be kinda pissed if the lead singer of any band thought he'd use my head as a literal stepping stone

36. Post #2676
    Glod Menber
    June 2008
    4,510 Posts

I like this live performance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

37. Post #2677
    July 2009
    2,023 Posts
    I told my mate there wouldn't be any pits to make him come.

Whoops.
    I doubt there will be much of a pit, but what you DO have to be careful of is having one of the band members jumping on you.

38. Post #2678
    November 2010
    486 Posts

I like this live performance.
    I wonder how much they spend on a average show
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

39. Post #2679
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,736 Posts

40. Post #2680
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    4,604 Posts
    Da fuck is this

it's like 3 inches of blood resurrected angus young to play for them and changed their name

and the singer started dressing like dave mustaine

Edited:

and Zakk Wylde showed up too. for some reason
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)