1. Post #121
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    13,233 Posts
    I myself am dealing with the overpriced Mikrokopter thing, but the KKmulticopter thing seems to be the way to go.

I have zero experience with it, but I am probably going to try this $30 thing of theirs , after finishing this one.
    Is the second one genuine? It's weird how there's such a huge difference in price.

I'd rather get this one:
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=19534

It's cheaper and I know a lot of people have used it. Plus royalties are paid to the original designer of the KK.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #122
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,053 Posts
    I myself am dealing with the overpriced Mikrokopter thing, but the KKmulticopter thing seems to be the way to go.

I have zero experience with it, but I am probably going to try this $30 thing of theirs , after finishing this one.
    What the hell, $30 for the complete PCB and other useful stuff?
    The same board is 75.00 on the kkmulticopter site, and it doesn't even include the programmer or the other board for connecting the motors
    (the programmer apparently doesn't work but they're cheap as hell so that doesn't bother me)

Thanks for that link, I'll be sure to buy that kit

Edited:

Is the second one genuine? It's weird how there's such a huge difference in price.

I'd rather get this one:
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=19534

It's cheaper and I know a lot of people have used it. Plus royalties are paid to the original designer of the KK.
    Even better holy shit where's my wallet

Edited:

After giving it some thought, I think I'll be buying the set from dealextreme - watched a few videos on youtube, the Blackboard looks more stable than the hobbyking controller, and also free shipping

3. Post #123
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    January 2009
    21,464 Posts
    Here come the engines!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Czech Republic Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

4. Post #124
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    8,681 Posts
    Maybe I'm just an idiot but I don't see any guides on that KKmulticopter site, I just see things for sale. I totally want to get into this but I see no cheap way as I'm not a gods damn engineer.

Also you... built the frame yourself and that's it? I'd imagine everything else still adds up quick (motors, controller, control board, any other wiring, FPV gear if you want to go far, the cost of the material for the frame itself, etc). I don't see how that's $30

I think once Sweb finishes and posts a final parts list I'll start thinking about getting into this more (especially if I have a paying job after the holiday break)

5. Post #125
    February 2011
    2,352 Posts
    you should attach a giant sawblade to it and attack people

6. Post #126
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    5,002 Posts
    Here come the engines!

Concealed wires? So... Clean... :gizz:

Edited:

I'll be putting together an Easy Star (plane) FPV setup in a few weeks if you guys want me to keep a build log as well.

7. Post #127
    January 2009
    21,464 Posts
    Concealed wires? So... Clean... :gizz:

Edited:

I'll be putting together an Easy Star (plane) FPV setup in a few weeks if you guys want me to keep a build log as well.
    Yeah we stuck them inside the carbon sticks. To be honest I had to be rather rough and i didn't have a very good feeling, as the fit was rather tight, at the entrance. I hope one of them didn't snap. If any of these short-cirquited, we can kiss their respective 60 euro controllers goodbye.

8. Post #128
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    13,233 Posts
    Cash in my account now. Time to go on a spree.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #129
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    6,170 Posts
    I don't suppose these go well with rain?

10. Post #130
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    716 Posts
    swebonny was wondering if you had any more updates on your build?

11. Post #131
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    13,233 Posts
    Nothing has come yet. No idea why. Ordered it the last time I posted in this threa.d

12. Post #132
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,906 Posts
    Kinda lazy to read through the thread, but will you be attaching a camera Swebonny?

13. Post #133
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    13,233 Posts
    Kinda lazy to read through the thread, but will you be attaching a camera Swebonny?
    Yes of course. But right now I've skipped to install the camera mount that came with the frame. But yeah, definitely going to mount a camera once I get the thing flying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

14. Post #134
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,906 Posts
    Cool, I'm sure we'd all be interested in seeing some footage when it's all done. :)

15. Post #135
    Might start working on a multi-copter but then I'm short of cash and currently too busy working on a R/C Car.

16. Post #136
    BOSSMAN
    January 2009
    4,491 Posts
    Hmm, so the controller board listed here http://www.dealextreme.com/p/kk-mult...ull-set-107408 can be used for a tricopter as well as a quadcopter?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #137
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    13,179 Posts
    I don't suppose these go well with rain?
    I'm sure if you waterproofed it, or at least made it water resistant it would be fine. I know they make shrinky-dinks that you could probably fit over all the engines and electrical bits to keep water away from them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #138
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    5,835 Posts
    I've been playing around with a shitty RC Helicopter my dad got for Christmas. Now I really want to get my hands on one of these.

19. Post #139
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    8,681 Posts
    Yes of course. But right now I've skipped to install the camera mount that came with the frame. But yeah, definitely going to mount a camera once I get the thing flying.
    FPV and a recording camera or just a recording camera (or recording off the fpv camera)?

20. Post #140
    January 2009
    21,464 Posts
    Our power distribution system - a "power distribution board" with no electronics on it's own, to which 4 brushless engine controllers are soldered.

My dad is really good at soldering :>

Edited:

I'm sure if you waterproofed it, or at least made it water resistant it would be fine. I know they make shrinky-dinks that you could probably fit over all the engines and electrical bits to keep water away from them.
    You would most probably end up overheating the engines.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Czech Republic Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

21. Post #141
    October 2011
    513 Posts
    this gave me inspiration for my next GMoD contraption
    A multicopter
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #142
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    13,233 Posts
    Alright so after a damn long time, I finally got the four ESC and a program card to program them as Dokuman suggested. So what I only need now is the battery, a charger for the battery, a transceiver and receiver and some additional cables and things to keep my cables attached.
    Now I have to read up on how to wire up the ESCs so that they all receive power, I have to find a suitable battery, how to program the ESCs, how the tranceiver and receiver works, which cable goes to what and so forth. I will post a more elaborated update later and when I'm finished I'll probably write a guide on how i did it from bottom up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #143
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10
    May 2010
    680 Posts
    I'll link you with the best batteries for your set up (from experience).
    Glad you got the program card, you will soon see that it's worth it!

Also get more then one battery if possible, you can charge one up while you fly with the other one.

Oh and i'll link you to a good charger.

Okay, here's a picture of my battery collection. Tried a few different types of batteries, so I hope you will value my opinion.

The best ones for my Tri's and Quad's alike is by far these.

And the link to them
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...8934&aff=61689
    For how cheap they are, I would get as many as your budget allows.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

24. Post #144
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    13,233 Posts
    My god you got a lot of them. They seem nice and cheap. I saw a user calculate the ideal battery based on some numbers from the esc or the motor, so I'll crunch some numbers tomorrow.

And I finally found a image on the wiring of the ESCs. Kinda as I suspected, a parallel circuit if I'm correct.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #145
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    847 Posts
    I remember making stuff like this in Garry'smod, but yours is truly amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #146
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    13,233 Posts
    Today I've been soldering the bullet connectors to the cables. I think it worked quite well.

27. Post #147
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    5,002 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #148
    Otherworldy Aviation Enthusiast
    May 2007
    663 Posts
    I've very tempted to start on my own multi copter project, any chance of a list of all the parts you've used so far, Swebonny?

Imagine building a huge one, with a seat underneath :O

Oh, somebody has!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L75ESD9PBOw

29. Post #149
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10
    May 2010
    680 Posts
    Here's an excellent build guide for a Tricopter with links to all the parts.

http://rcexplorer.se/projects/tricop...copterv25.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

30. Post #150
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    13,233 Posts
    I've very tempted to start on my own multi copter project, any chance of a list of all the parts you've used so far, Swebonny?

Imagine building a huge one, with a seat underneath :O
    If you look trough my posts in this thread you should get an idea of what I've used. I'm not finished yet, but I'll definitely post a list with all the parts once I'm finished.

I just realized that perhaps not everyone have a soldering iron, so I suggest anyone that wants to build a multicopter to get one. It's quite useful for other things too.

Edited:

Here's an excellent build guide for a Tricopter with links to all the parts.

http://rcexplorer.se/projects/tricop...copterv25.html
    The way they're wiring the ESCs to the battery is awesome. That's definitely how I will do it now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #151
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10
    May 2010
    680 Posts
    Sorry I didn't send you that before Swe! Forgot about it to be honest then stumbled upon it today.

Also there's a competition on, design RCExplorer a logo and win a complete Quad or Tricopter!

http://rcexplorer.se/Competition/Competition.php

32. Post #152
    November 2009
    6,600 Posts
    How long can you fly around using one of those batteries posted above?

33. Post #153
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10
    May 2010
    680 Posts
    How long can you fly around using one of those batteries posted above?
    With a Tri-copter you can get a half hour flight in if you don't just full power all the time. That's with a full HD Hero camera on.

34. Post #154
    November 2009
    6,600 Posts
    With a Tri-copter you can get a half hour flight in if you don't just full power all the time. That's with a full HD Hero camera on.
    That's pretty nifty, I wanna build one.

35. Post #155
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    8,681 Posts
    welp dunno how to solder or anyone that does. guess im done.

36. Post #156
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    5,002 Posts
    Youtube it. It's really not hard at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

37. Post #157
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10
    May 2010
    680 Posts
    You can also buy them, complete. Although they are hugely expensive, overpriced etc.

http://www.kkmulticopter.kr/index.ht...6_10&id_no=129

38. Post #158
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    5,002 Posts
    You can also buy them, complete. Although they are hugely expensive, overpriced etc.

http://www.kkmulticopter.kr/index.ht...6_10&id_no=129
    Is that a completely built one or just a kit with all the pieces, because if that's a completely built one then that's not a very bad price.

39. Post #159
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    13,233 Posts
    Is that a completely built one or just a kit with all the pieces, because if that's a completely built one then that's not a very bad price.
    I think it may be unassembled seeing as they are listing all the parts. That price is quite scary.

Edited:

The soldering I did was just to connect the connectors to the wire. Basically, put connector into holder. Melt the tin into the tiny cup and jam the wire into it. Nothing hard really.

And later you may have to solder some cables wire so that the battery is shared to all the ESCs, but how hard you want to make it is up do yourself.

40. Post #160
    August 2009
    9,424 Posts
    It's easier if you bundle them together and wrap a tiny wire around the bundle

then solder