1. Post #1
    August 2008
    317 Posts
    I released this map after many people asked for it. I made the fog white so that it looks like a realy bright day with no fog. but the visibility is about 1 mile becuase of that. heres avid i shot on it:

its downloadable at gmod.org: http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=77637
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Arab Emirates Show Events Artistic x 18Dumb x 5Useful x 2Friendly x 1Disagree x 1Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    August 2008
    5,610 Posts
    I released this map after many people asked for it. I made the for white so that it looks like a realy bright day with no fog. but the visibility is about 1 mile becuase of that. heres avid i shot on it:

its downloadable at gmod.org
    It's best to provide a link for your stuff. Sometimes it can be hard to find amongst the hundreds of stuff at gmod.org.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,603 Posts
    Great purpose - creating something, instead of just staring at some nice eyecandy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    August 2008
    317 Posts
    It's best to provide a link for your stuff. Sometimes it can be hard to find amongst the hundreds of stuff at gmod.org.
    ok. il get the link. But i dont think people will download it. since there are so many hundreds of maps out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Arab Emirates Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    When deciding weather or not to download a map, i do not want a video showing me someone making an aircraft. Three screenshots is usually enough to show the map in its entirety.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 3Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    1,995 Posts
    When deciding weather or not to download a map, i do not want a video showing me someone making an aircraft. Three screenshots is usually enough to show the map in its entirety.
    No pics, no clicks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    1,737 Posts
    Although you must agree that the airplane, though simple, looks cool, and that the video shows off the map pretty well. Plus, I liked the music.

You got a download.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,793 Posts
    The road at 2:30 - 2:34 made me barf. D;
    (To be specific, the sides of it.)

I like your sailcraft, and the way you filmed the flights however. ;D

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    1,545 Posts
    Your texturing needs some work. The runway is sticking out of the ground too far and the textures on the side are poorly aligned. The texturing in that big brown room in the beginning of the video is horrible, always use a different texture on the walls and floors. Your displacements are okay, a bit sharp in places but not terrible.

The lightning isn't anything special, but it isn't bad or annoying, either.

Overall, not bad, and it's purpose is unique and useful. Will download.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    August 2008
    317 Posts
    Well this is only my 7th map. So I know its not very good.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,793 Posts
    Well this is only my 7th map. So I know its not very good.
    :doh:

I don't know if that's worse than saying "this is my 1st map so it sucks, kthx bai".

You know the basics, and you've executed most of them fairly decently. Yet all we are trying to do is tell you where you can improve. You just have to say 1 simple thing:
    "Thanks for the suggestions, i'll see which ones I can work into my map".

Meanwhile if it was your first map, most newbs believe they can just leave utter shit on this wall, and it's fine because they are still learning. Yet I don't exactly understand their "train of thought".
    Let's say you were an artist, who's just starting out with drawing. You've done a couple of paintings here and there, but they were never really good compared to a lot of the other paintings you have seen.
    Would you show your painting that has some mistakes all over it to an art museum, or would you just get laughed at? Same thing applies to this forum. Imagine that this is the museum of maps, and the community are the art directors.

Whether it's your; 1st map, your 7th, or even your 200th, every map could do with some improving. Yet it falls on you to actually make the improvements. It is your map after all. ;D

(Lecturing is fun. ;D)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    August 2008
    317 Posts
    :doh:

I don't know if that's worse than saying "this is my 1st map so it sucks, kthx bai".

You know the basics, and you've executed most of them fairly decently. Yet all we are trying to do is tell you where you can improve. You just have to say 1 simple thing:
    "Thanks for the suggestions, i'll see which ones I can work into my map".

Meanwhile if it was your first map, most newbs believe they can just leave utter shit on this wall, and it's fine because they are still learning. Yet I don't exactly understand their "train of thought".
    Let's say you were an artist, who's just starting out with drawing. You've done a couple of paintings here and there, but they were never really good compared to a lot of the other paintings you have seen.
    Would you show your painting that has some mistakes all over it to an art museum, or would you just get laughed at? Same thing applies to this forum. Imagine that this is the museum of maps, and the community are the art directors.

Whether it's your; 1st map, your 7th, or even your 200th, every map could do with some improving. Yet it falls on you to actually make the improvements. It is your map after all. ;D

(Lecturing is fun. ;D)
    No You understood me wrong. I am greatfull and I have fixed everything that you guys told me should be improved. But I also know that facpunch isn't the nicest of all places. It has improved 10 fold though.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,207 Posts
    Do a 3d skybox, I hate that fog.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    3,686 Posts
    Really nice video. :D.

Also nice map.

15. Post #15
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    No You understood me wrong. I am greatfull and I have fixed everything that you guys told me should be improved. But I also know that facpunch isn't the nicest of all places. It has improved 10 fold though.
    Depends as what you count as nice. If you don't like people being honest about maps, and telling you what you don't really want to know, then i suppose in that respect we are not nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    May 2009
    1,048 Posts
    very awesome sailcraft, just fix ur side road texture

17. Post #17
    August 2008
    317 Posts
    Depends as what you count as nice. If you don't like people being honest about maps, and telling you what you don't really want to know, then i suppose in that respect we are not nice.
    No thats being nice. but before facepunch had the makeover it was hell.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    1,817 Posts
    Love this map! Absalutly fantastic for everything that flys.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,929 Posts
    This map looks really, really fun, just from that video. You sold me @ 2:46.
    Cliffside buildings = Win. Also, I love the fog. Don't get rid of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    906 Posts
    This map is awesome! flying gliders around on this is very calming and fun :) good job dude.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    3,702 Posts
    Is there a tutorial for making gliders like that?

Found your tutorials on youtube. Huge disaster... Just flops out of the air, done it several times, played with all the settings no luck...

Mind just uploading an Advance Dup of the one in the video?

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    1,737 Posts
    Is there a tutorial for making gliders like that?

Found your tutorials on youtube. Huge disaster... Just flops out of the air, done it several times, played with all the settings no luck...

Mind just uploading an Advance Dup of the one in the video?
    I used to make regular planes like that back when I still played actively. Try starting with big, and I mean BIG control surfaces, and make everything aligned to grid, and then you can start experimenting.

Edited:
    SPIES SAPPIN MAH FORMATTIN!

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    3,702 Posts
    Lime: He has tutorials with exact settings, lengths distances, props etc. I copied them exactly and they fell out of the sky :/

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    906 Posts
    I put a weight at the front of mine which makes it work perfectly :)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    1,737 Posts
    Lime: He has tutorials with exact settings, lengths distances, props etc. I copied them exactly and they fell out of the sky :/
    That's what I meant by Experiment. Nothing works if you do it exactly by the book, because of the fact that it's impossible to do something exactly by the book.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    3,702 Posts
    Just flops out of the air, done it several times, played with all the settings no luck...
    :)

I tried more weight/less weight in the front, steeper pitch in the back, more efficiency on different parts, a different map, etc.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    1,737 Posts
    :)

I tried more weight/less weight in the front, steeper pitch in the back, more efficiency on different parts, a different map, etc.
    Change design?
    Build one from scratch, tweak it, THEN make it look like you want it, and tweak again.

And yes, I realize it's Fucking Hard, I've tried and failed myself multiple times. Just hang in there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    August 2008
    317 Posts
    Limejet, i just want to know if you helped develop the fin 2... for some reason i associate you with fin contraptions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Arab Emirates Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    1,817 Posts
    If he did, he is offically a LuaKing. I bow.
    BTW sparrow, did you start the canyon map. I would make it but unfortunatly I suck. The first playable map I made, was created and compiled last night

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    1,737 Posts
    Limejet, i just want to know if you helped develop the fin 2... for some reason i associate you with fin contraptions.
    I made a tutorial on it once, I know no Lua at all, except how to make ragdolls into playermodels

If he did, he is offically a LuaKing. I bow.
    lol wtf.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    1,817 Posts
    I bow to LuaKings

32. Post #32
    August 2008
    317 Posts
    I bow to LuaKings
    Well I make them tea... BEAT THAT!

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    1,817 Posts
    Well I make them tea... BEAT THAT!
    Pretty hard to beat, I admit...

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    4,351 Posts
    Mister, I like your map.

Actually, I really, really like it, except for one major problem.

IT'S SO FREAKING BRIGHT.

Fix this and me internets go to you.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    1,817 Posts
    Mister, I like your map.

Actually, I really, really like it, except for one major problem.

IT'S SO FREAKING BRIGHT.

Fix this and me internets go to you.
    Try turning off bloom (I dont have this probelm even with bloom)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    4,351 Posts
    Try turning off bloom (I dont have this probelm even with bloom)
    I don't use bloom, actually, but I think that the bright problem is caused by the white fog.
    I love the work done here, as it is a very good map for flying stuff, but it hurts my eyes after a while.

37. Post #37
    November 2008
    202 Posts
    This is fucking awesome!

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    1,817 Posts
    I don't use bloom, actually, but I think that the bright problem is caused by the white fog.
    I love the work done here, as it is a very good map for flying stuff, but it hurts my eyes after a while.
    For whatever reason i dont have this problem... must be a setting I have. Try using fog override

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    4,351 Posts
    Try using fog override
    Thanks, didn't think of this.

*runs to GMod*

40. Post #40
    A living example of an OCD programmer
    June 2009
    3,746 Posts
    I love it, for sure